Is the use of animal blood products allowed?

by Pat_4037 1 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Pat_4037
    Pat_4037

I recently saw a program on Discovery Health where a JW had been bitten by a rattle snake. He was in critical condition but refused blood transfusions. He did receive about 36 units of Antivenom which eventually led to his succesful recovery.

This morning I learned that antivenom is made from the blood of sheep. Should he have refused the antivenom?

Blessings - Pat

Critical care products derived from sheep polyclonal antibodies. The raw material (serum) for the products comes from the sheep.

At 18 weeks, they reach their peak antibody level and are then bled every four weeks in a fashion similar to what happens at the Red Cross. Animals are first bled at about 20 months of age and generally remain in the research flock until they are 7.5 years old.

Once the blood has been harvested, it is transported to the manufacturing facility where the bags are spun in centrifuges to separate the red blood cells from the serum, containing the antibodies. The antibodies are extracted and purified to form the end product.

· Rattlesnake anti-venom
    Products include North American rattlesnake anti-venom, an antidote for overdoses of the heart drug Digoxin, CytoFab™ for the control of sepsis-syndrome or septic shock,and a Prolarix™, a novel anti-cancer drug.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the good old days I am sure that it would be a definite refusal since any blood product, animal or human, was considered a violation of what was sacred.

Now though the waters are more muddied. I guess in theory animal blood is still banned using the scriptures like Genesis 9 .4 - 6..but if you could accept it from human blood then you could accept it from animal blood...So I guess it would depend on what part of the blood was used to make the serum? Was it a "Main 4 category" part of the blood?

I guess a person should take it if they are dying of a snake bite, and worry about it afterwards!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit