Carolyn Jessop

by mamalove 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• mamalove
    mamalove

When she was on Oprah some years ago, promoting her book Escape, I was mesmerized. (For those of you who are not familiar, she was a member fo the fundamental mormon sect and broke free). I went to school and had worked with Mormon's in the past, so I was intruigued. I ran out and got her book and finished it in a couple of days. I passed it on to others in my congregation, only to be warned that it could give me doubts.....REALLY?

Well they were right. It was the book that innocently got my attention, and then I was able to draw so many parallels that I couldn't shake that feeling that this was not right for more reasons than I had before.

I see she has a new book called Triumph. I just ordered Escape and Triumph on Half.com because my copy of Escape somehow disappeared a couple of years ago. Oh and I bought Eat, Pray, Love too just for kicks and giggles, I heard it was good.

Did any of you have any good read books that made you start thinking? Or any of you read up on Carolyn Jessop or other fundamental Mormon's?

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

Yes! I read the book Escape by Carolyn Jessop and could not put it down. It reminded me so much of the JDubs! (Loser men who thought they were Gods, young marriages, stupid rules.) I recently googled Carolyn in hopes to find an update on how she's doing, but could find nothing. I have so much respect for her for seeing through the religious crap and risking her life to save her children from the cult. I strongly recommend her book!

Btw: I really wish the government would have put all those children in foster homes a few years back during the raid! Those poor kids!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

'Escape' was a real eye-opener for my wife.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I have her "Escape" book,,I read that years after leaving WTs,,many enough parallels for sure. Haven't read her "Triumph", will probably get it soon.

Also, read "Rolling Down Black Stockings" about a girl (Ester Royer Ayers) raised Old Order Mennonite Religion. Parallels young JWs going to school and how the youth must be different because of their religion.

"Going Undercover - To Rescue my Daughter" by Nancy J. Sage was very intriguing on how she managed to do that.

Other books have come out about JW kids raised there but now have left when grown. I am so glad ex-JWs are writing their personal experience and burden as JW youth.

Others: "Leaving the Cocoon" (something like that),,"Leaving Mama's Club," "Has Anyone Seen my Mother?",,maybe not exact titles,,

I hope there will be more stories or experiences of those JWs youth and their struggle and dilemma in finding themselves though raised in a disfunctional religion.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I'm very familiar with Carolyn Jessup, although I have not read her book. You're correct, the similarities are eerie.

For myself, for some reason (I call it my Guardian Angel) I was always attracted to books by Catholic authors or with lots of Catholic situations. It made me wonder what in the world the JDubs do that could be considered worship. It made me long for a connection to the early Christians and the Christians through the ages. I just wasn't satisfied with this Russell-come-lately religion. I think we all long for ritual in our lives, to some extent, and for a higher purpose, and I found it in Catholic-themed books. It made me long for something richer than what I had. It has a lot to do with why I'm Catholic today.

I still can't figure out what the JDubs consider to be worship.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Gayle, I've been writing my own story of growing up Hovie. As my therapist puts it, my life history is "horrific." However, I'm waiting for my parents to die before trying to have it published. (Not that they're dying and not that I wish them ill, just that I don't want to deliberately hurt them.)

I'm writing mine as a work of fiction, though, so that I can incorporate things that happened to my friends and siblings who want their stories told but don't wish to be outed. So everything in my book is true but didn't necessarily happen to the protagonist. Of course, there is creative license.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I also have a friend that wrote a book, "Letters to my Mother" by Mary Ruth Borg,,she was molested by her JW step-dad. The step-dad died years ago but her mother is still alive and aware and devastated that her daughter got the book out before she died (the mother about 80 or so now).

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

I read her first book when I was already on my way out, and just read "Triumph." There are so many parallels between her experience and the JW experience. I found "Triumph" to be really inspiring, and enjoyed reading how she survived and started a new life for herself and her children. She is an amazing woman!

And the movie Eat, Pray, Love was really good too. I liked it as much as the book.

• looloo
    looloo

i read that book it made me see similar situations in dub land ! have you read not without my sisters about a girl in children of god cult ? cant remember author , great read !

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Just finished her book today ,amazing strength this woman has . I read the book in two days I just couldn't put it down . When she talks about how she felt as a kid really hit home with me . Several things she said reminded me of how it was as a Witness .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit