Question about A.H. Macmillian and the early WT (JW) people after 1914.

by Joliette 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joliette
    Joliette

I started a thread about David Splaine, and the we were talking about Fredrick Franz, and then the subject of A.H Macmillian came up. I was asking why so many bethelites stayed single instead of getting married or having children (Well, people who were both in and out of bethel during that time.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think I posted in that thread that one source claims that AH Macmillan had two children: Edmond and Charles. I don't know how accurate this is, or when he had these kids.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You made me think of something when you brought up Macmillan. Sorry if it's off topic. But have you ever noticed that the Bible students didn't REALLY start out as a destructive cult? I think that's really interesting. To me it seems like they were just starting another religion. But it eventually evolved into a cult.

The old timers like Macmillan, then, started in somewhat of a real religion (allbeit a strange/false prophetic one), and eventually it became more and more cultlike through Rutherfords time.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Brotherdan, thats very true. But werent they always kinda predicting the end of the world, 1914, etc?

Leolaia, thanks...was he ever married??...omg dont tell me he was a baby daddy...lol just kidding. I thought you couldnt be married back then.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

No, outright discouraging of marriage was later on, in the 1930s. Marriage was quite common in 1910s, such as William E. Van Amburgh marrying Luie (his second wife) at around 1914. Clayton J. Woodworth married Saphronia in 1902 and they had two children, Mary and Clayton Jr.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster
    In October, 1902, I attended a convention in Washington, D.C., where I was married. My wife and I then spent a year in California, returning in 1904 to Allegheny. In 1905 I made a nation-wide convention tour with Russell.

From Faith on the March page 43

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Checking Ancestry.com I found in the 1920 census Brooklyn N.Y. A.H.MacMillan (42)was married to a "Mary"(47) and had a son named "Albert"(12). They're listed as boarders . J.F. Rutherford is listed as the "Head'. Also of note, Alexander was granted citizenship in 1895 in the state of Pennsylvania, where his wife was from and his son was born.

• Joliette
    Joliette

^Thank you.

• designs
    designs

A.H.Macmillan and William VanAmburgh both stayed at my grandparents house in California, my mother remembered 'Mac' as being very funny and a good story teller.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Oh wow what kinda stories did he tell, do you remember?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit