cliques - a common theme

by rockmehardplace 5 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i am sure it has been touched on many times before, but as i read trying to catch up on some of the topics over the past few months, i see the word clique jump out on so many occassions.

why were there so many cliques? in the congregration i was in, we had a serious problem with it. there was three cliques in one hall. the elders' wives club, the pioneer lunch society (which was an extension of the elders' wives club), and then there was the 21-30 year olds clique that i would swear was a group for swapping spouses and getting drunk, but that i could never prove nor ever invited to.

there was always those who never fit in, who if they banded together, would have been the biggest and probably most fun group (minus the swapping spouses bit).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ROCKMEHARDPLACE,

This was my pet peeve when I was in the religion. I never saw so many cliques in my life! At certain points in time the cliques were such an obstacle just getting around in the congregation. It even determined where I sat. One Sunday, I remember sitting in a row where a family clique sat. All I got were sidelong glances from the catty women.

It was a nuisance really and certainly detracted from the religion's claim they were a brotherhood.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Cliques are reality. The JW myth of the Spiritual Paradise and goal of universal Agape are a joke.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

There are cliques everywhere, in the workplace, your neighborhood/town and within religious organizations.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The congregation I attended was separated by the haves and have nots or divided by family.

you couldn't help but see this division once you started to attend on a regular basis

• gutted
    gutted

I second CuriousButterfly, it's just human nature when there are large groups of people they will form cliques/peer groups. I think perhaps it's more noticeable with JWs because they talk about NOT doing it as it doesn't show "love", when it's blatant in every congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit