My wife admitted a WT rule was ridiculous!

by JimmyPage 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

When we were dating, my wife and I lived in different cities. I would come up to visit her and stay the night at a male JW friend's house. He was going through a divorce but still living in the same house with his ex. In the morning when I got up, he would leave for work and I would be left in the house with his ex until I left. His ex's super JW sister would chew me out for being alone with her for that brief amount of time.

Recently I made the point to my wife: according to WT rules, if a man stays the night at a woman's house and they are not married, they could be DF'd for the appearance of impropriety. Yet, here my friend and his ex were staying under the same roof, and the elders just took them at their word that nothing sexual was going on between them. (Remember, if they were to have sex, then, according to WT rules, they would be taking each other back). In reality, of course, nothing could ever be proven in either case.

My wife admitted she had never thought about that before, and actually admitted how stupid the whole thing was! I hope these baby steps continue for her.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Thanks for sharing Jimmy! It sounds like a babystep towards freedom.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I hope so to. That is how I am playing it with my wife as well. baby steps..

• undercover
    undercover

Baby steps are great, hope she keeps making them...but a word of caution (and I speak from first hand experience)...

She will take steps backwards from time to time. I've joked... "The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one" (my wife). She'll see through some minor things and will accept her own understanding or judgement on certain things but then when backed into a corner will defend the WTS as God's organization like no dub you've ever seen. It's almost amazing (or would be if I wasn't personally involved) to see the transformation from a logical and rational human being to a cult programmed robot, mimicking buzzwords and phrases.

Not trying to be a downer, just being realistic. It's good to be prepared when you see the switch so you can know when to drop it and wait for a better time to hopefully encourage more free thinking.

Good luck...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit