There is nothing new under the sun.

by wannabefree 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I like to think that "God's Organization" has been getting oppressive recently and will cause many to wake up ... but the more I examine old publications, the more my hopes are dashed.

*** w52 8/15 pp. 500-501 par. 15 God's Spirit Essential to Maturity ***
    15 A word of warning about that bridge. Do not attempt to span the gulf by building a private bridge of your own! As in the giving of prophecy in the first instance "no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private release", so likewise, in gaining the proper understanding of prophecy in its fulfillment, we need to submit ourselves both to God's spirit and his organization, Zion; for it is only the ‘children of Zion' that are "taught of Jehovah". (2 Pet. 1:20, NW; Isa. 54:13; 30:20, 21, AS) It is not sufficient to possess a Bible and study it, or join in with some religious body that believes in open Bible study. No matter how hard and seriously and prayerfully we study, we cannot get the true understanding apart from the organization and the spirit. So do not trust your weight on any home-made construction. Do not even lean upon such, but "trust in Jehovah with all thy heart, and lean not upon thine own understanding: in all thy ways acknowledge him, and he will direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes; fear Jehovah, and depart from evil". (Prov. 3:5-7, AS) Individual Bible study, certainly! Independent Bible study, beware!

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

As a 'study', you are asked by the JW you study with, to use your own logic and reasoning to see "it really is the truth"- so we are just suposed to 'use our own logic to trust' and then told NOT to trust our own logic........................ confused? Iam

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    No matter how hard and seriously and prayerfully we study, we cannot get the true understanding apart from the organization and the spirit.

Does that not just drive you nuts?

Born-ins, I can understand going along with it, it has been their reality from birth ... I am humiliated that I bought into it!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Don't feel bad. Even us born-ins are humiliated that we bought into it for so long.

Then again, the Borg speaks with a sort of "Voice of Saruman" effect so we can't be fully blamed:

"Suddenly another voice spoke, low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment. Those who listened unwarily to that voice could seldom report the words that they heard; and if they did, they wondered, for little power remained in them. Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves. When others spoke they seemed harsh and uncouth by contrast; and if they gainsaid the voice, anger was kindled in the hearts of those under the spell. For some the spell lasted only while the voice spoke to them, and when it spake to another they smiled, as men do who see through a juggler's trick while others gape at it. For many the sound of the voice alone was enough to hold them enthralled; but for those whom it conquered the spell endured when they were far away, and ever they heard that soft voice whispering and urging them. But none were unmoved; none rejected its pleas and its commands without an effort of mind and will, so long as its master had control of it."

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Wannabefree: I am proud of you for your nice concise post. Perfect size!!!

It is not sufficient to possess a Bible and study it, or join in with some religious body that believes in open Bible study. No matter how hard and seriously and prayerfully we study, we cannot get the true understanding apart from the organization and the spirit.

Isn't that sad? There are SOOOOO many things wrong with this sentence. Isn't it obvious and sad how they insert themselves in with the Holy Spirit? "The organization and the spirit".

My big shock has been when they use capital letters for "Governing Body" and lower case for "holy spirit".

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Absolute double speak when you consider that they say there has always been "a faithful slave" OK then WT, who was it then up until Chuck came along. How were there always "anointed' when there wasn't an org. If there wasn't an org, how did the 'anointed' study on their own and receive holy spirit. Chicken and the egg scenario, but as the OP states people just dont think about it long enough to see the BS.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    As a 'study', you are asked by the JW you study with, to use your own logic and reasoning to see "it really is the truth"
    Born-ins, I can understand going along with it, it has been their reality from birth ... I am humiliated that I bought into it!

You see, there it is right there. Those who study with JWs as adults have the opportunity to use logic and reasoning and come to their own conclusions, and decide the religion is not for them with no strings attached. Those who are born-in are indoctrinated since birth that the religion is the "truth" and are baptized usually at young ages in advance of developing more adult abilities of using logic and reasoning. When such a child realizes that the religion is not for them, unfortunately it is almost impossible to leave without breaking such "strings" as one's own family connections -- as such a person is viewed, not as analoguous to a study discontinuing his or her study, but as an apostate who is rebelling agaisnt Jehovah.

• OBVES
    OBVES

Some new things are happening now. They are oustide the Jehovahs Witness organization right now .

There is a prediction for Christ's return in 2011 AD visit this usenet group alt.religion.jehoavhs-witn .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit