Who promotes the earlier date for the composition of Daniel?

by Doug Mason 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I have been researching the "70 sevens" prophecy at Daniel 9:24ff.

One topic relates to determining the date when Daniel was written. The www provides unnumerable hits on the subject.

I wondered if everyone who promotes the earlier 6th Century BCE date of composition interpret Chapter 9 as referring to Jesus Christ.

I likewise I wondered whether everyone who promotes the later 164 BCE date says Chapter 9 refers to Antiochus Epiphanes.

Is it possible that anyone who believes in the earlier date of the composition of Daniel also believes that the writer was predicting the activities of Antiochus Epiphanes?

Doug

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Sounds like a question for Leolaia!

• Augustin
    Augustin

I'm sure that you will find people who do not see Dan 9:24ff. as a prohecy about Jesus even if they would accept an early date for the Book of Daniel (viz. all parts of the book). Cf. the commentaries by E.C. Lucas, M. Stuart, and the "preterist" interpretation of Dan 9 advocated by the Dutch/South African scholar Cornelis van der Waal. Few people advocating a late date for Daniel, however, would see Dan 9:24ff. as a prophecy primarily about Jesus.

Whereas I am able to see a possible minor/indirect reference to Jesus in Dan 9:24ff (cf. Gruenthaner, CBQ 1, 1939, pp. 44-45), I tend to see Dan 9 as being parallel to Dan 8 (cf. Dan 9:21-23 as a reference back to Dan 8:27). and Dan 11 (cf. v. 31). One should also note that there are noe reference to Dan 9 in the NT indicating that the prophecy in vv. 24-27 is about Jesus.

Best regards

Augustin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Is it possible that anyone who believes in the earlier date of the composition of Daniel also believes that the writer was predicting the activities of Antiochus Epiphanes?

Sure. Josephus did. He regarded the Danielic prophecies as having a double fulfillment between what was fulfilled in Antiochus Epiphanes and what was being fulfilled in his own day (wrt Rome's destruction of the Temple). His reference to Daniel's demonstrated precision in prophecy is probably a reference to ch. 9. Modern conservative scholars who maintain an early date for the book may indeed take a similar position; I have seen statements to this effect in the literature, although I can't remember any names.

I tend to see Dan 9 as being parallel to Dan 8 (cf. Dan 9:21-23 as a reference back to Dan 8:27). and Dan 11 (cf. v. 31).

Absolutely. There are parallels all over the place between the visions of Daniel, and they are often ignored in conservative interpretation (such as the interpretations pursued by the Society), whereas if we give full credit to these parallels and, in effect, "let Daniel interpret Daniel," the conceptual framework of the visions comes into much clearer focus.

• freydo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit