TTATT Billboard outside Belton, TX JW Conventions - Fundraising campaign

by quest81 22 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Simon
    Simon

It's not clear from the links what the aim of this is - what is it meant to accomplish? How will success be measured?

Using a medium such as a billboard to get a message to members of a very small niche audience seems like a rather unfocused effort IMO. How many individual JWs will drive along that route and see that one billboard? News about the WTS and JWs has regularly been on TV (reaching far more people) but don't hold your breath waiting for any mass exodus - it just isn't going to happen.

There seems to be a lot of hyperbole going on - claiming that "Millions of people's lives are being adversely affected every day by Jehovah's Witnesses" is a bit of a stretch given that there are only 7 or 8 million JWs in total worldwide. Are 25% of JWs being adversely affected every day?

I understand the desire to "do something" but IMO it's better to make information available for people who are looking for it so that when people are ready to leave they can find the support they need. Trying to make people leave seems like a tall order and trying to fight the WTS on their terms almost madness - they can out-message any amount of ad-spending.

I wish whoever is doing this success though.

As for the sign itself - if the intention is to get the message out about Jehovahs Witnesses then it should say "Jehovahs Witnesses" somewhere on the sign. Using phrases such as Kingdom Hall and Elders will likely mean nothing to non-JWs. If the intention is to reach people with a message then you should be looking to raise conversation with people who may work with JW's for instance.

Something clearer, more direct and more applicable to all readers:

Have Jehovahs Witnesses covered up child abuse in your community?
    find out now: [website address]

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"Have Jehovahs Witnesses covered up child abuse in your community?
    Find out now: [website address]"

Yes...something short and succinct works best.

In advertising, they talk of a "call to action"...ie, something that makes the public take a course of action to look further. It needs to be simple and short...especially if it will be on a billboard as one drives past at 60 mph...

How about:

"Do you know the TRUTH about Jehovah's Witnesses?" (Website)

• cappytan
    cappytan

Simon: On the reddit site there was much discussion about some of your concerns.

Belton, Texas was chosen because of the amount of JW's that would be there for conventions during the summer and for the reason that it was also the most affordable of the other locations. If the Billboard is on the main I-35 thoroughfare, thousands of JW's will pass it during the convention season.

• violias
    violias

I-35 is major North/south through Texas and into OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_35_in_Texas

• Simon
    Simon
    On the reddit site there was much discussion about some of your concerns.

Thanks, I was too lazy to read everything.

Belton, Texas was chosen because of the amount of JW's that would be there for conventions during the summer and for the reason that it was also the most affordable of the other locations. If the Billboard is on the main I-35 thoroughfare, thousands of JW's will pass it during the convention season.

Hmmn, I picture billboard advertising as something for local businesses OR for brand recognition (part of a larger campaign). I'm not convinced it is very effective as a means of reaching a very small segment of the audience that will be driving past.

Billboards aren’t there to persuade you to do anything, not overtly anyway. On the average, research shows that most people don’t even look at billboards for more than 4 seconds, those that do look for more than that, don’t look much longer. Outdoor billboards are about building brands, and strengthening images.

http://www.outdooradvertisingdc.com/services/billboard-advertising/measuring-billboards-effectiveness

Out of 15,000 attendees how many will take a route past that sign?

... and even notice it?

... and bother to read it?

... and remember it a minute down the road?

Are we talking about hundreds of people or maybe even tens?

I think to be effective it needs to be shorter, more direct or humorous (challenging given the message)

• violias
    violias

billboards can be effective. I recall one on Interstate 635 ( LBJ for Texas natives) when Timothy McVeigh was on trial. It was called Highway To Hell , can't recall anything else other than that and his name. Very effective.

http://amarillo.com/stories/2001/06/17/tex_mcveigh.shtml#.VSRfhrl0y1s

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/view/upi/e255d2683803ae53720f9ac540b937eb/Dallas-Billboard-Depicting-McVeigh-with-Satan-Stirs-Controversy/

• DesirousOfChange
  • Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Jehovah has clearly blessed #OpBillboard: The Indiegogo campaign for a Billboard raising awareness of the dangers of the Jehovah’s Witness cult has reached its goal

http://jwalumni.org/2015/04/20/op-billboard-success/

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    Hey if you could put that bill board up some place close to an ciriut assembly hall that all the JWs on the way have to pass now that might be pretty effective.
  • KateWild
    KateWild

I tried to go to jwthink.com and that website doesn't exist....I went on reddit.com and the site was hard to navigate and the first thing I noticed was a thread about the best way to advertise.

I also saw a much better poster advertising jwfacts.com. This was much better.

JWs don't leave WT because they find out about paedophile coverups it is more personal. I liked the simple question "what does your religion really teach?" That would have impact I think. It caught my eye. Then the simple jwfacts.com.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit