New a good term instead of born-again

by Skeptic 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I have been associated with many religious groups over the years, mainly the Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, and various evangelical born-again groups.

I often use the term born-again on this forum. I normally mean born-again in reference to evangelical born-again groups, "fundies", etc.

A couple of posters here have told me that they find the way I used the term born-again offensive. They rightly tell me that most Christians believe that they are born-again...hence, my comments offend them.

So, folks, can we come up with a more accurate term? The closest I can come up with is evangelical born-again groups....

When I use born-again, I am generally referring to Rex's belief system, Charismatic Christians, Penecostals, Baptists, Assembly of God, etc.

But I am not being accurate, and I do not wish to offend.

Richard

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

I feel that if someone called me a "born-again" I would be offended. I am a Christian, I attend a Methodist church and I believe that all Christians go through a spiritual rebirth when they accept Christ as their Savior. I have good friends who are Roman Catholics and they say "born again" means basically the same thing plus receiving the sacrament of baptism. I feel the term "born again" is just cliche and plain over used. Many non Christians use the term as a derrogatory term when speaking of evangelical Christians, that is why many Christians feel offended, because the hostility that non-Christians display is made very obvious. When somebody asks me if I am "born again" I will reply that I have accepted Christ as my Savior and explain that this was a personal thing for me and lead them to John chapter 3 for explanation.

I think the term "evangelical Christian" may be more proper. Or just use the word "Christian" period. Some Christian denominations are more legalistic than others, and I try to steer clear of those, such as Assembly of God and other Pentacostal groups. Not that there is something wrong with them, those groups just aren't for me and I would feel very uncomfortable in those settings. Not all Baptists are alike either. You will find many denominations within the Baptist groups, literally hundreds, and you won't find that any of their denominations resemble each other. Some are ultra conservative and others are liberal.

Bottom line is, you won't please all of the people all of the time. However if you want to refer to me as just a Christian, I'm fine with that.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I call them Evangelical Protestants because they all have something to protest about the RCC (thus justifying the existence of their group) and depending on the level of extremism, I call them fundie protestants.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Skeptic

By born again, do you have in mind people who are a bit spiritual in their attitudes? Or who may have had some kind of spiritual experience? If so, here are a few terms. Some of these have also been assigned negative connotations.

Initiated
    Mystic
    Spiritualist
    Illuminated
    Christed
    Messiah

SS

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

INITIATED----too New World Ordery
    MYSTIC-------too magickal
    SPIRITUALIST-too demonic
    ILLUMINATED--too Satanic
    CHRISTED ----too mystical
    MESSIAH------too blasphemous

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It is commendable that you are trying not to offend people.

I don't see why your usage of the word is offensive. I think it is quite correct; here's the definition from Merriam-Webster;

Main Entry: born-again
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: from the verse "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God" (John 3:3-Authorized Version)
    Date: 1961
    1 : of, relating to, or being a usually Christian person who has made a renewed or confirmed commitment of faith especially after an intense religious experience
    2 : having returned to or newly adopted an activity, a conviction, or a persona especially with a proselytizing zeal <a born-again conservative>

Technically speaking, most any Christian could claim to be 'born-again'. However, the term is far more narrowly appliable.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Psychist

Metaphysicist

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Thre is no easy answer here! I just say Christian and if neccessary explain it as evangelical or born-again. If you are talking about Catholics say Catholic, If you are talking about liberals say liberals. Depends on what you are refering to.
    I am a Christian and that what I call myself because thats what the first followers of Christ were called - "first called Christians at Antioch". I also have been refered as and sometimes do refer to 'born-again' (a reference to John 3:3). I personally don't have a problem with it. I guess the main point is try to be specific in who you are refering to because many religions want to refer to themselves as true christianity-- much like the JWs. Maybe we should all try to not be so offended and ask for explainations if there is a question about who someone is speaking of. Just don't be derogatory
    <>< ANgie

• JanH
    JanH

"Why be born again when you can just grow up?"

- Jan
    --

• Satanus
    Satanus

Christians really don't need to label themselves, because other christians will label them as soon as they find the smallest point to disagree with.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit