non-believer RANT

by loosie 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• loosie
    loosie

I know I live in the bible belt but why is it such a big deal if a person doesn't believe in god, why do christians get personally offended by it?

I have friends that are christians, taoist, mormon, wiccan, buddists, catholic, athestis and agnostics. I like my friends for the qualities that they have not the god or lack of that they believe in.

What I don't understand is why christians take it so personally when you tell them that you are an athesist? It's not like you insulted them personally.

My daughter was invited to the catholic church by a boy at her high school. She said no thank you. he kept pressing the issue, then she told him she didn't believe in god. He was shocked and offended, and the conversation ended. Now mind you this good catholic boy wanted to date my daughter in the 7th grade because she has a nice butt and wants to take away her innocence. ( his words not mine). My daughter has enough smarts about her to tell him to lose her number. I'd rather she date an atheist who respects her than a catholic who wants to sleep w/her.

I am very closed mouth at work when it comes to religion. No one there know I was a jw or that I am an atheist. I don't like the response I get from people when I tell them I don't believe in god. They act shocked and try to make you feel like you haven't become smart in your life. When in truth this is the most intelligent I have been in my life. I know too much to believe in god.

I think what I will tell them next time they act shocked when I say I don't believe.. I think I will gasp and say do you believe in the easter bunny as well as god?

• Ding
    Ding

I'm sorry you've been treated that way. I've experienced the reverse. When I tell people I believe in God, the literal resurrection of Jesus, etc. a lot of them are as shocked as if I told them I believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

Respect for people who see things differently would go a long way toward constructive dialogue.

• zoiks
    zoiks

It must be a regional thing. Where I am, people are generally liberal and open-minded enough to just let it go, even when they disagree. I know what you're saying, though. I have seen news shows where in some areas people are afraid to come out as atheist because of the social stigma.

• tec
    tec

I find it strange that we can have the same experiences, but be opposite in beliefs ( or non-belief for those of you arguing over the meaning of atheist )

I get made fun of for my belief. In fact, I thought all atheists were hateful and/or condescending - until I came to this site. I find some people like that here, but enough that I realize that this picture that I had was wrong.

I'm sure it goes the same the other way.

Tammy

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Because, unfortunately, a large number of people on all ends of the spectrum find it hard to believe that anyone could disagree with them, because obviously they're right about everything. It's why you have so many hardcore evangelical Christians and evangelical atheists and why both sides hate each other so much. Most Christians and atheists aren't like that, fortunately, but you get enough of them that it stands out. And if you happen to align with one side or the other, you're not going to see the flaws in your own side as much -- hence people often being quick to point fingers in the other direction. ("It's your side that's mean!" "No, it's the other way!")

Where I live, we're very socially liberal but also have significant Catholic and Jewish populations. In my personal experience, both of those religious groups are pretty accepting of atheists and agnostics, especially since there are many doubters within them. So it's really not an issue here. People say they're religious and no one cares...just like people say they're atheist and no one cares. It's a good life.

• garyneal
    garyneal

When my brother first came out as an atheist it did shock our family. Keep in mind that no one in my family, aside from me, ever attended church regularly. So, what did they expect?

I remember back when I was considering becoming a witness, my mom was concerned. I told her, "If religion was so important to you, why did you not take us to church regularly when we were growing up?"

• agonus
    agonus

I've never had a problem with belief or lack thereof. What I do have a problem with is DOGMATISM in any form. I'll quote Stanley Kubrick, whose "2001" was the most spiritual/religious experience I've yet to encounter:

"no-one can really ever know for sure, and that it would be rather arrogant to assume that one could know."

That goes for fundamentalists on both sides of the coin.

• loosie
    loosie
    Respect for people who see things differently would go a long way toward constructive dialogue.

I agree wholeheartedly. But when someone asks you and you tell them honestly, and they gasp and take a step back from you, it's really hard to want to be honest with them. I have never been shocked when someone told me what they believe, I respect their right to believe it. I feel like I am gay and afraid to admit it around most judgmental people. Maybe its just where I live. Maybe I should back to CA.

But how would the christians feel if I gasped when they told me what religion they were. Should I react they way they do to me? Or maybe I should lie and not come out of the religious "closet".

My daughter was told that she was going to burn in hell in the 7th grade because she didn't go to church. That girl said she would pray for my daughter. My daughter told her to save her prayers. Why are parents teaching their kids to be hateful? I tell my daughter eveyone (including herself) has the right to believe what they want, and that no one is goign to hell for being gay or non christian or anything else.

Get me out of this red state and send me back to the land of opened minded people.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    I tell my daughter eveyone (including herself) has the right to believe what they want

Good on you, if I had kids that's what I would tell them too. (didn't have kids, I was waiting for the JW fairy tale called: The New System, what a waste of life)

When I was a blind JW I used to think that I was 100% right and the rest of the world was wrong!

How stupid, what an ass I was, this shitty religion (WTS) feeds this crap onto JWs and then pushes them to shove it down peoples throats as they preach their dumb ass message door to door.

Now I see the whole world as one family, there is NO 'us vs them' we are all bro/sis. It's called the human race. I have finally joined it and it feels great, too bad I wasted 30 years as a stupid blind JW.

3Mozzies

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I still get people doing a double take when I say I am a Christian, LOL !

"You? religious??? but you are never preachy andyou believe in science and evolution?", yes I reply, which equals even more shock and confusion, LOL !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit