'Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together...'

by bez 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Very often when Clyde, myself, and our son's families get together for a meal, we will comment that we are not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together. And yes, we do "encourage one another."

Bonnie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

How many different ways are there to gather oneselves?

Well, we could have dinners and banquets (which the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has been thinning out since the 1980s).

We could have home decorating parties. You might also decorate the church, or meeting place, for a major holiday. That is a lot of work that is likely to also be a lot of fun, especially if you throw in a couple of people with a gift for putting up Christmas decorations. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger would never go for that.

What about actually caring about people when they are frequently sick? Rather than hounding them and telling them that they should do better despite frequent sickness, we could just wish them well and try to get at the root cause of why they are so often sick (instead of hounding them).

Another thing I can think of is just plain bagging the boasting session once in a while, and simply playing games.

Evidently, these don't count.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

A comeback: "Evidently, that refers to gathering with other followers of Christ for uplifting fellowship. There is nothing in that verse that can be read into meaning to go to a meeting and hear teachings channeled from dead guys, such as Watchtower meetings do. So I prefer to stay close to the meaning as conveyed in scripture."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit