1894 watchtower on disfellowshipping; by all the pure minded

by Aussie Oz 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Yes, i am going through all the old Wts seeing how this practice developed right from Russells time

In the 1894 edition he writes another strongly worded message...

Watchtower 1894

September 1, page 1699

......., the Apostle’s language indicates that his case was not a hopeless one, as it would have been had the sinner transgressed

against full light and knowledge, wilfully. For the same Apostle declares that such cannot be renewed unto repentance.-

Heb. 6:4-6. Compare 1 John 5 : 16.

The Apostle would show the church the importance of prompt and decisive action to correct such an error. The wrong-doer should not be temporized with, nor coaxed and advised, nor remonstrated against, but should be promptly disfellowshipped by all the pure-minded. refused all recognition and all privileges of fellowship, no matter what his professions or knowledge or talents: thus left to the world and the devil for fellowship, he would be the more likely to see his condition and reform. That in the case mentioned the man did not have a bad spirit, but still had some love for God and his people and a desire for spiritual things, is shown by the Apostle’s words, “That the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.” If his spirit had been bad. the Apostle would not suggest its being saved-all that is evil must be destroyed. This man’s spirit was good-his will was to do God’s will, but from some cause he did not allow the exceeding great and precious promises of God’s Word work in him to do right. The purity of the church demanded that he be dealt with rigorously -; and his own future depended upon whether or not-the animal nature which was ruling him should be mortified - put to death.-Rom. 8: 13; Col. 375.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I wonder when they first defined and used the word disfellowshiped

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i found references to it as early as 1879 Wt

But the practice pre dates russell as another poster commented: remember the film the scarlet letter? early american puritans practiced it

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit