Jacob fights with Jehovah for blessing!

by AIRVIEW1 7 Replies latest jw friends

• AIRVIEW1
    AIRVIEW1

In Genesis 32 Jacob gets into a wrestling match with the angel of Jehova. When the angel told Jacob to let him go, Jacob's response was, "I will let you if you will bless me". Jacob decided to fight the angel for his blessing and they go at it all night! Because of this Jacob was given a new name. "Your name will no longer be Jacob.
    Your name will now be Israel:BECAUSE YOU HAVE WRESTLED WITH GOD AND WITH PEOPLE< AND YOU HAVE WON!" (Genesis 32:26) By this I get the sense that GOD puts a high value on those who Persevere, fight and hang in there for what they want.

How do you see it?

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

See also, "Wrestling with God? Pop goes the Hip?"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=10071&site=3

• AIRVIEW1
    AIRVIEW1

Thanks Ginny,
    I must take better care of my feet.

airview

• Flip
    Flip
    I get the sense that GOD puts a high value on those who Persevere, fight and hang in there for what they want.

Why didn’t He simply 'spit' out what was on His mind, instead of using some, convoluted comedic performance. Who does God think He is, Shakespeare?

Flip

PS

I must take better care of my feet.
    As if podiatrists aren't over worked already, then somebody comes along and dangles yet another source of revenue in front of them.
  • ISP
    ISP

Maybe Jacob just liked wrestling. I am not aware of too many following his example in getting gods blessing this way.

ISP

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Lets see if I get this Jacob wrestled with an angel all night. Now if memory serves me incorrectly (he he) an angel of God killed 185,000 people in one evening.

Now does this mean Jacob was stronger than 185,000 military people?

Was the angel a litte shall we say fay and loved the hold Jacob had o him???

Did Jacob love the hold the angel had on him and didn't want him to quit?

Or do we get a good hold on this life and hang on and to hell with any person or angel that wants us to let loose?

One Angel kills 185,000 people in one night, one man wrestles an angle all night. Sure thats believeable about as believeable as the WTBTS giving a shit about the human rights of its members.

Just a thought dancing like a shadow through my mind. Buff

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I wonder if Jacob knew how to successfully land The People's Elbow for dramatic effect.

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• compton
    compton

That is a good point, now give us an explanation of why Jacob's hip became displaced

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit