Missouri elementary school bans "Happy Birthday" song because some students might be "offended"

by Mythbuster 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

The ban lasted all of 4 days as angry parents bombarding Chesterfield Elementary School with complaints forced the moonbat rule to be overturned. From Todd Starnes: Is "Happy Birthday" Song Insensitive?

Read the letter sent home to parents.

August 23, 2010

Dear Chesterfield Parents,

I have received several questions regarding information I sent in last week's note about birthday treats and the new procedure. Before I clarify that information, I must begin by apologizing. I did not adequately explain the changes.

Because I didn't go into greater detail, many of you are confused and concerned. I hope to reduce that confusion and concern by answering the following questions about birthday celebrations.

What has stayed the same?

Each morning, we will continue to wish the child/children happy birthday via our morning announcements. Students will continue to be invited to the office to receive their birthday button and pencil or eraser. In the classroom, teachers will continue to do the things they have done in the past, such as singing the birthday song, making a birthday crown and honoring them as "student of the day." If a student brings a non-food item to school, it can be distributed in the classroom.

What has changed?

To ensure the health and safety of all children, any food treat brought in for a birthday celebration should be labeled with the teacher's name and student's name and sent to the office. The nurse will check for allergens and send the food to the cafeteria. The teaching assistant will distribute the treat to the birthday student and classmates on the class roster during lunch.

What types of treats are acceptable?

If your child would like to bring in food items, please pay close attention to any food allergies in your child's class. Items should be pre-packaged and stored at room temperature. Non-food related items are also encouraged. We ask that they be school related items, such as: pencils, erasers, book marks, a book donation to the class library, or a donation to our school library.

Are students allowed to sing the happy birthday song?

Students are permitted and encouraged to sing the happy birthday song in the classroom. I am asking that we not sing the birthday song in the cafeteria, when the treat is distributed.

I hope this clarifies any questions or concerns. Again, I apologize for the confusion.

Sincerely,

Jodi Davidson

• bigbird
    bigbird

I don't understand what the big concern is with this letter. It is very common for schools to have policies on food. It is also very common for them to limit what goes on in the lunch room due to all that is going on already with little staff to supervise. I think that we should trust the honesty of this person that it was a mix up before jumping over that they conceded.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Obviously they don't want a repeat of what happened at King Herod's birthday party to happen in the cafeteria. Prudent, I would say.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Anybody remember the Non-Denominational Christmas episode of South Park? I fear that's what we are becoming.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I fear that's what we are becoming.

Why are you afraid of removing religion from school?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This "we can't do things because some might be offended" crap has to stop. You name any item, it could offend someone. Christmas, celebrated by many Christians and secular people alike, offends a minority of militant Islams and a few Jews, so that's next. Then they might as well go ahead and ban field trips just in case a few are offended (rather than just leaving the option to skip it). They might also ban recess to appease the few that might be offended by that. And so on.

Of course, the alternative (not being so easily offended because your group leaders have a grudge against group leaders of other groups) is too simple. If black people would stop being offended because their leaders are offended at what happened in the late 1700s and early 1800s, a lot of the racial slurs would lose their power. If gays would stop being offended because of what their leaders think, or straight people being offended because their church leaders tell them to be, that would go a long ways toward peace between the two groups. If people would realize that different religions may just as well be right or as right as their own, religious persecution would disappear. If you do not like a celebration, just don't participate in it, but let others who choose to participate do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit