Seen this movie?

by bittersweet 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever seen the movie "The Invention of Lying". If you haven't seen it it is basically about a guy who lives in a world where no one knows what a lie is. When this mans mom is on her deathbed he tries to comfort her and makes up a story ( something no one else has the ability to do ) about a place like heaven where everyone will get to live in a mansion of their choosing. People over hear this and believe he is a prophet so he starts making up a bunch of rules as to how you can make the man in the sky happy so everyone can have a mansion when they die. It's just a real funny movie as to how people come to believe what they believe and how it is all a bunch of bull.

It stars Ricky Gervais and Jennifer Garner. I liked it and thought I would recommend it. It's been out on video forquite a while.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Golly gosh, I watched this film today and was thinking what a prime metaphor it is for the way Dubs react.

The Q/A session when "the prophet" is making up the rules on the hoof is so like the slow motion car crash of GB explanations of issues that it makes you wince. The film should be required viewing.

SL

• ziddina
    ziddina

I've seen parts of it as I was channel-surfing, especially the deathbed scene...

I thought it was very accurate, explaining [to an extent] how the concept of an 'afterlife' arose in the first place...

Slidin Fast's description of the scene as analogous to the Watchtower Society's train-wreck bible 'prophecies'-on-the-fly is apt!!

Zid

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

And the rules being written on pizza boxes.....prety hilarious!!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

that was a funny movie I like the part afterwards when he talks to them about gods rules and they get upset with god and say"lets get him before he kills us ALL"

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

It's one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Very funny and well done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit