Hi everyone need info on JW policy!

by LucyA 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LucyA
    LucyA

I grew up a JW but arn't now my mother who is JW and piosneering at the moment told me the society does not charge for use of the KH for weddings funerals ect is this true?

If they dont why dont they?

• StAnn
    StAnn

They've never charged that I've known of but generally the family gives the elder performing the ceremony a gratuity.

Don't know why they don't but I assume it's because they don't allow the general public to be married or hold a funeral in their KH, only members who had most likely been contributing to the upkeep of the KH.

In my church, we don't charge our own parishioners for use of the church.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi LucyA,

True, though generally when the elder who is the marriage celebrant meets with the engaged couple and goes over the arrangements before the wedding (everything from their spiritual standing in the cong, who will be in the bridal parties, details of the reception, booze, music....) He will mention that if they are approved to use the kingdom hall (there could be no better place than our fathers house of worship) then there are costs associated with that. They can show their gratitude and appreciation by making a donation to cover those costs and arrange a spring clean of the hall in the week of their wedding.

Cheers, Mattieu.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I've never heard of a charge being made or a gratuity being given to the person conducting the ceremony, unless you count being invited to the reception a gratuity.

You have to qualify which means you and your fiancee as well as all members of your wedding party have to be approved by the elders.

I would imagine that the couple would make a donation to cover the costs of the building use, at least that's what we did when we were married in the KH years ago.

I believe the same applies to furnerals in terms of making a donation.

I actually don't have an issue with that particular policy since there is a cost associated with these activities and they aren't really "congregational" sponsored events.

Mattieu - I've never hear of anyone doing a big cleaning but I could see that happening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit