LATEST NEWS: CANDANCE CONTI VERIDICT READY - WT LOST!!!!!!!

by Viva la Vida 105 Replies latest jw friends

• paulmolark
    paulmolark
    This does mean however that the 7 million in compensatory damages for candace is still going to be awarded to her so there is still a hit to the Watchtower bank account. Granted it is only 1/4th the expected amount but a loss for the watchtower is a loss for Watchtower
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I don't understand how a court could decide they were negligent but not require them to pay damages.

I know it's not about the money, but sometimes it seems it's the money that makes people sit up and take notice.

Anywho, those bastards were found to be negligent yoo hoo.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Personally, I would prefer prison terms for those who looked the other way in things like this. To make the publishers the fall guy by paying millions for the wrongs of elders or Bethel heavies is unfair, imo.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Oh, by the way, our organization was found Negligent because Jehovah directed his organization to not protect our children from pedophiles by using Bible rules.....Barbara Anderson

..................Image result for Watchtower logo

....Image result for Watchtower logoImage result for losersImage result for Watchtower logo

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I have just skim read the argument. It seems that the WT is held negligent since it allowed Kendrick to go out in service with Conti and get up to his tricks. The WT argued that this was not allowed, single brothers are not assigned with single sisters. They could not back up this assertion. Thus compensatory damages were upheld.

The court held though that WT/Elders had no duty to warn the cong. about Kendrick, thats why the punitive damages were overturned.

Expect new rules about who can work with who.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    marked
  • done4good
    done4good

For some reason the paste function is acting up again...Firefox works only marginally well on this site now.

Sparrowdown-

In terms of negligence/punitives...Punitive damages can only be awarded if negligence is found first, however they are not automatic, and often reversed by the appeals process.

The WT was being tried for negligence. They LOST. This will set a precedent that will reverberate big time at HQ, no different than Swaggart losing the State of California v. Swaggart over sales tax did in 1989/90. The WT watched that case closely, for good reason. They could not put themselves in a position where they would have had to pay taxes, it would have bankrupted them. Their business model could not support it.

Believe me, they are scared shitless now.

d4g

• Ding
    Ding

The $7 million compensatory judgment stands.

The $21 million punitive damages does not.

No new trial on either.

No reference to any gag order.

Either side can attempt to appeal to the California Supreme Court.

The California Supreme Court can choose to take the case or not.

The Supreme Court's choice would be based on a number of factors, including importance of the case, likelihood the issue will arise again in other cases, how many other cases they have on their docket, etc.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I see this as an overall win. The Watchtower doesn't care about a few million, they have been happy to pay off victims to hide the fact they do not care about protecting children. The publicity is a problem, they last thing they want is for rank and file to become aware of this.

They can spin this what ever way they want, but the more this is in the news the worse it is for them. Individual JWs are now going to realize they are not contributing to the worldwide work but to the worldwide pedophile defense fund

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

And just out curiosity , why did Kendrick not get charged with pedophilia again for attacking Candace Conti.

since he had a prior conviction ? You would think because of that they would open a case against him. ???

There have been Catholic priests who have been charged and convicted on circumstances of what they did 10, 20 years in the past ???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit