LATEST NEWS: CANDANCE CONTI VERIDICT READY - WT LOST!!!!!!!

by Viva la Vida 105 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

My undersstanding of the ruling is this:

1. The court has upheld the negligence finding against WT (this was the smaller of the amounts awarded).

2. The court has overturned the punitive damages finding against WT.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

So, WT won!!

• cappytan
    cappytan
    So, WT won!!
    It appears so.

• Splash
    Splash

cappytan has it right.

Under "scheduled actions" there is a Remittitur issued with a date of 15th June.

This is an instruction to lower the punitive damages.

There will still be punitive damages, however.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam
    So...it's a win?
  • Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    So it remains $7M in compensatory damages, but the $21M is waived. Justice once again fails.
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Confused. I guess I'll wait until they publish the opinion.

I still probably won't understand.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    IANAL either but I've been in court on business lawsuits enough times. I agree with cappytan. The actual damages were upheld, the punitive damages were dropped. This is not uncommon with large lawsuits, the original jury slaps the defendant with a ton of additional damages, which get drastically reduced on appeal.
  • DNCall
    DNCall

Watchtower's defenses with regard to the pending lawsuits of this type are greatly weakened by this decision. The decision will be published and a legal precedent set. Watchtower will continue to have exemplary damages assessed against them in the pending cases until they change their policy, which is what Candace has wanted since day one.

Having punitive damages reversed in this case is a short-term win for Watchtower. As far as the long term, this is a very important outcome.

Watchtower may petition the California Supreme Court grants for review of the appellate court's decision, however only about 5 percent of these petitions are accepted for review by the Court.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Its looks to the WT won but that doesn't surprise me because the case was a weird one and I'm surprised Conti won anything. There are however better cases showing the WT guilt and they will get thier just reward.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit