LATEST NEWS: CANDANCE CONTI VERIDICT READY - WT LOST!!!!!!!

by Viva la Vida 105 Replies latest jw friends

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

You would think, if we all were really interested in justice? We would know American Law. Each country has laws directed to clergy, Research it.

The biggest is the Vatican. She has a long way to go unfortunately.

Description:

Affirmed/part, rev/part, / remanded w/direction

Date:

04/13/2015

Final
    The judgment against defendants on the negligence count is affirmed.

The judgment against Watchtower on the cause of action for punitive damages is reversed

With directions to enter judgment for Watchtower on punitive damages.

The parties are to bear their own costs on appeal.

Publication Status:

Signed Published

Author:

Siggins, Peter J.

Participants:

Pollak, Stuart R. (Concur)
    Jenkins, Martin J. (Concur)

Case Citation:

none

Affirmed in part and reversed in part by

An appellate court has upheld part of the judgment of the lower court or agency in the case you are (TM) but has overturned the remainder of the judgment. That part of the lower court decision being overturned should no longer be considered good law: Warning - Negative treatment is indicated (Red)

Warning (red)

Affirmed in part and remanded in part by

An appellate court has upheld part of the judgment of the lower court or agency in the case you are (TM) and has returned the remainder of the judgment to the lower court for further proceedings: Caution - Possible negative treatment (Yellow)

Caution (yellow)

• flipper
    flipper
    This was definitely a win for Candace Conti regarding the negligence of the WT Society and THAT is what she was trying to accomplish in the first place. So what if she was awarded only $$$$ 7 million for WT negligence instead of $$$$$$ 21 million for the punitive - WT Society was still found liable and negligent. This case has set a precedent regarding WT Society negligence - and due to the fact WT leaders have NOT really changed their child abuse policies - this will bode well for the other child abuse lawsuits coming down the pike against the WT Society. This was a win-win for Candace , her family, and everybody fighting on her behalf and on behalf of children being protected
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Thank you Candace Conti.

You stood up with such poise and grace!

This is a victory!! you have done what others were too fearful to do. I'm so grateful to you and your example of strength.

Is the fight over? Not even close...but you got the ball rolling. These policies WILL change you just wait and see. I don't care how stubborn those old men are they will be forced to do something, and as a result children will be a little safer in that religion. That is after all the most important thing.

I hope you take the money and live a beautiful happy life!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The WTS is being duplicitous in their presentation of their defense, which is not a surprise...but it is very annoying when they speak out of the sides of their mouth and the court listens to them.

From reading the court document regarding the judgement on this case, the WTS made the argument that the elders were bound by the confidentiality of penitential communication.

I don't understand how that clergy privilege can be used as a defense when their own literature denies that there is a clergy within the JWs:

http://www.silentlambs.org/noclergy.htm

The Watchtower, February 15, 1994 Issue, Page 7:
    It is precisely because of this close adherence to Bible teachings that the veneration and idolization of human leaders so characteristic of cults today is not to be found among Jehovah's Witnesses. They reject the concept of a clergy-laity distinction. The Encyclopedia of Religion aptly states about Jehovah's Witnesses: "A clergy class and distinctive titles are prohibited."

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I had a feeling that the punitive amount was going to be thrown out. However, this is still a victory for Conti and sets a precedent.

Well done!!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Jehovah gave us the victory in the Conti case. Satan's court decided that God's organization didn't have to pay out millions of dollars of our donation money to her. Now we can keep buying more property to build more Kingdom Halls. Oh, by the way, our organization was found Negligent because Jehovah directed his organization to not protect our children from pedophiles by using Bible rules."

Posts like this reinforce a conclusion I came to a while back...

...that one of the biggest reasons the WTS demonized the internet for so long was because of rabid loyalist JWs posting every idiotic thought they had for the world to see, thus revealing how ridiculous they truly were.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Congrats Ms Conti!

After reading the ruling it is clear that these elders and society lawyers have sold their proverbial souls to the devil. The fact that the punitive portion was reversed means nothing in terms of the society being proven guilty.

At the end of the day, ANYONE that learns of a child abuser and hides behind a curtain of priest/elder confidentiality is a coward. I simply cannot fathom a grown man learning of a child molester and not doing everything in his power to make it known to persons he has been entrusted to care for. That is without even mentioning reporting the offender to the authorities. I do not know how they live with themselves

pbrow

• talesin
    talesin

Thank you, Ms. Conti! Forever and a day! :)

You have made an huge step forward for JW adult survivors of sexual abuse, and I honour you for that.

xoxoxo

• violias
    violias

This is a win and will effect how field service and other congo activities are conducted. It has to b/c the wts has been found negligent of not providing proper supervision for children. I know if I was among the boe's I'd make sure that children only worked with their family and I bet that is what is going to happen. When I say children I think it will extend all the way to age 18 b/c anyone under 18. Also, if it is known that a perp is a family member, can't imagine how they handle this one, except that the child can't be around that family member alone while engaged in wts activities.

This will just become a cat and mouse game of people lying and saying they did not see a child with someone not their parents. PBROW, I completely agree with you , I am sorry I was ever a member of this rotten org. that only cares about itself and not the welfare of anyone .

This victory and how it is based may help others cases to go forward easier. I hope someone eventually takes this to the SCOTUS b/c if we do have a duty to WARN. May there be many more victories for the walking wounded and hopefully it will greatly inconvenience the congo's and the wts. I know if I was a member of a boe and having to take all the responsibility I'd be thinking of jumping ship.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Candace is still a Hero of the Rebellion.

The Force will be with her, always.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit