LATEST NEWS: CANDANCE CONTI VERIDICT READY - WT LOST!!!!!!!

by Viva la Vida 105 Replies latest jw friends

• Viva la Vida
    Viva la Vida

I'm not an expert but that is my understanding of this:

04/13/2015

Opinion filed.

(Signed Published) The judgment against defendants on the negligence count is affirmed. The judgment against Watchtower on the cause of action for punitive damages is reversed with directions to enter judgment for Watchtower on punitive damages. The parties are to bear their own costs on appeal.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Do you have a link Viva?
  • Gayle
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

That statement is a bit confusing perhaps someone with some legal knowledge can help.

My guess is that the original monetary fine is being abandoned and a new monetary amount in punitive damages is going to be worked out by both parties, out of court. ???

• Viva la Vida
    Viva la Vida

I tried to get a copy of the whole opinion but it is not available yet http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions.htm

• Viva la Vida
    Viva la Vida

Fink that is my understanding too, but I think that is secondary to the issue (how much money they will have to pay) I think that the main issue has been settled and that is important.

• Gayle
    Gayle
    Will Watchtower request California Supreme Court now?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Dont be too surprised if the WTS pushes to include a gag order toward Candace and her lawyers

just like the other law suits filed in California for pedophilia with the WTS.

Its Jah's will

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    marking
  • cappytan
    cappytan

Here's my interpretation:

IANAL, but I worked for one for 5 years.

The judgment against defendants on the negligence count is affirmed.

Defendants are still "guilty." They will be paying the 130,000 for therapy and treatment, or whatever it was to begin with.

The judgment against Watchtower on the cause of action for punitive damages is reversed...

This whole sentence sounds weird and is poorly written, but here's what it sounds like to me, and I don't think it's good news. It is my opinion that this means that Watchtower actually won in reversing the punitive damages.

...with directions to enter judgment for Watchtower on punitive damages.

The decision of the court was to find in favor of the Watchtower on punitive damages. If Watchtower was to be required to pay punitive damages, it would have been a judgement for the plaintiff, not Watchtower. The sentence reads "...enter judgement for Watchtower." Watchtower was trying to have the punitive damages reversed on appeal, and the judgment was in their favor. (The punitive damages were the ones that rose to the millions of dollars amount, FYI)

The parties are to bear their own costs on appeal.

This last sentence is self explanatory.

Again, I am not a lawyer, but this is how I am interpreting it based off my experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit