Being in a cult - what good did it do?

by Garrett 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Pookigirle
    Pookigirle

I was not raised in the organization, but chose the cult in my early 20's! As such, I was a very very busy young lady in ALL school, church and civic acitivies/organizations, as well as 4-H and other outside involvements. Both of my parents have worked or are working for the government, so I attended many elite galas and the like. The only member of my family in the borg was my maternal grandmother (which is the reason I got invovled in the first place, as I always look out for those who get picked on and are considered "lowly". I did not want her to be by herself.) Then 5 years later my mom decided to join the cult with my persuation. I started fading about 5 years ago and was official "removed = dfed" this past November. So, for me, to leave meant my family got me back! (MY siblings, their families n father) I have since woke up my mom (who never really went along with so much anyway - expecially dfing) and she is breaking her ties again. My 3 birth children are no longer involved and my ex husband is out. The only one left is my step-son and his family of 6 kids, that are practicing dubs - but I work on them regularly. (I figure if I had the persuassion to get them in, I just may have the persuasion to get them out!) He will still talk with me, but does not allow my grandchildren any time alone with me.

But, I am THANKFUL for being a witness for those 20 plus years. I am thankful for the scriptural study I was taught to do. I am thankful for the understandings I have learned. I am thankful for the friendships that I created with the other sheep. (In 18 years I had 9 people become baptised and they were all my best friends!) But I am most thankful for being taught discernment. I am most thankful for being able to pop that original JW bubble and move out into the larger REAL bubble of this world and its control mechanisms. I am thankful that it made me a cautious and aware individual, who now questions everything - and follows the money -of everyone and every entity.

I appreciate that so many cannot just up and move on like myself and I send all my strength, support and love to them. Their individuals situations are so different from mine - but I love you all!!!

So, to answer you question --- I fully believe I am a much much better individual because of having experienced the world of the JW's. I fully believe that the education I received has made me who I am today and that is..........awake, aware, discerned and not easily manipulated. There is not a single person on earth that can ever tell me anything again - that I will not research and investigate myself as to know the truth of the matter!!!

But one thing is for sure -------------- I AM FREE AGAIN!!!

• william draper
    william draper
    Being able to speak of some of the good things that existed in a religion , which one has left , is a sign that they are reasonable people , and open minded . Such gives more credence to the decision that they have made in leaving this church .
  • badcompany
    badcompany
    I would say salesmanship. Learning how to sell everlasting life to unsuspecting victims from age 6 definitely hones your sales skills. Also, public speaking skills have helped my career. I was speaking in front of a hundred people when I was in early grade school, a thousand by middle school, 15,000 by high school. I was spewing BS but it was great experience.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hope. Hope in God. Hope in a better future. Hope in seeing lost loved ones. Hope strengthens the heart and enlivens us. Hope is the good from religion.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    It showed me the way not to be.
  • Black Man
    Black Man
    Great thread!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit