Being in a cult - what good did it do?

by Garrett 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Garrett
    Garrett

Hello everyone,

so, here's a bit of a different point of view. While most of us will agree that our time within the jw cult was rather terrible, however, I'd like to look at another aspect. Did anything good come out of being in a cult and then waking up from it?

for example, for me, I have a much greater appreciation for life. The way I will spend the rest of my life and my outlook on it has changed drastically and to be honest, I doubt I would have had this outlook if it weren't for being in a cult.

im also able to be extremely objective when it comes to any sort of religious discussions since I have known both sides of the argument personally.

lastly, I am more open minded than I have ever been. Waking up has essentially told me that anything could be true and not to discard any ideas without thorough research.

what about you, how have you improved?

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I just enjoy everything so much now. Doing things I never could have done when I was in. Singing the national anthem, voting, watching the kids on their sports teams or fun activities, birthday parties, holidays, going to church (and not being forced to), celebrating the change of seasons, enjoying my time the way I want to, enjoying volunteer activities by choice, not feeling judged all the freaking time.

I think we don't take anything for granted, like people who have always had these things often do. We enjoy them to the full, knowing what it's like to be repressed and voiceless and forced to do stuff, and kept out of fun stuff.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Being raised in this cult and figuring my way out of it gave me an appreciation for my resourcefullness and also an appreciation of the stupidity of others. I feel so sorry for those trapped in because of familly and who know TTATT. They are far braver than myself , sitting in meetings and listening to the endless drival from the platform and going in field circus.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

When you have been able to come to grips with difficulties from your past

life then the feeling that you need protection and shelter will not be a part

of your life. As some people seek the apparent comfort and guidance offered

by cults, developing emotional strength, self esteem and a strong sense of

identity will help you avoid being drawn into another harmful sect.

• cofty
    cofty
    Did anything good come out of being in a cult and then waking up from it?

It made me explore belief very carefully.

Most people have not the slightest idea why they believe the things they do.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    There is a sense of comfort to have others think for you.
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Garrett

For me absolutely nothing good came from being in a cult. Using one of the WT illustrations, do you need to lose a limb to realize how useful it was...be sick to appreciate good health or be immoral to appreciate virtue? Likewise being prisoner of a cult didn't increase the value of the freedom I should have enjoyed from the start. I do realize that I wasted the prime years of my life slaving for a printing company - a pain I shouldn't have to live with if I had lived a normal life.

Edit: Phizzy and I are on the same page!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I appreciate the spirit and sentiment of your O.P, but I think it is rather like saying "I appreciate food so much more since nearly starving to death".

I cannot think of one genuine advantage for anybody to have spent wasted time in a Cult that has done nothing but control every aspect of your personality, stolen your time, and more than likely buggered your life prospects.

I really cannot believe that anyone is better off for the experience.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Having been a Jehovah's Witness gave me a good, finely tuned, crap detector.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Village idiot: agree, LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit