Great refutation of Watchtower's "Origin of Life" and "Was Life Created?" brochures

by Third Eye Open 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I was going to turn on the TV and watch my favorite show, but I figured, "Why should I be wasting my time when I can go down to Compton and hand out free $1 bills to some of the needy street people?"

See Now and Then, I followed your advice in my head for a minute, and then burst out laughing.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    "A waste of time, in my view."

I too must disagree.

I read the whole thing, and thought it was a very good. Well-researched, well-written, and highly informative documents like these were central to changing my mind when I was on the fence. They shatter the oft-repeated WT rhetoric that non-JW's have 'nothing worthwhile to say'. (The WT feels free to criticize everyone else, but nobody better criticize them!) The article made a solid case, backing up statements with evidence, examples, and sources rather than emotional appeals - clearly not an "empty" attack against the WT "just to criticize without offering anything."

Best of all, the reader is provided key information the WT has a clear agenda to gloss-over, omit, and/or misrepresent... and that is the key to illuminating some.

- Lime

• Copernic
    Copernic

Maybe you could adjust one important information :

Professeur Meinesz contacted by email 24/08/2010 5:31 pm (French Hour)

(translation by me - sorry for the mistakes)

- Did you authorized the Watchtower to use your book ? Of course, not !

- Do you support creationist view of JW ?

Absolutly no !

- This quote is correct? Page 32 to 60, nothing can be input to me. This sentence appears page 66 2nd line but it was taken out of context. They made an amalgam starting on a discussion where I examined 2 possibilities of life rising up on earth : (cells coming from space or cells formating on earth) and I develop my opinion supported by numerous actual datas (for me there is no evidence that it happened on earth so it's the other hypothesis (life began elsewhere) which should be considered LIKE the other hypothesis. That's it !

Au contraire, I'm opposed to creationist but also to ID movement (several paragraps on the subject). I am very clear in my book and a chapter underline the contingency factor in all the process of evolution (with pictures to support page 229 !).

If Jehovah's followers read my book advertised by them, they will be very very disappointed !

Please be aware that my book is a very serious work very well documented (nearly 1000 references) and it passed through the filter of 8 referees before edition in USA (University of Chicago Press !)

So you are authorized to publish my words!

What's your opinion about theses lies ? I'm ready to sue them ! For that I need their brochures and documents which could prove through the huge publication of their craps, the damage caused to my reputation.
    A. Meinesz

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536902279 -2147483648 8 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Times; mso-fareast-font-family:Times; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

-- 
    Professeur Alexandre MEINESZ

Laboratoire « ECOMERS» (EA 4228), Faculté des Sciences,
    Université Nice Sophia Antipolis
    Parc Valrose
    06108 NICE Cedex 2, France

Tel + 33 (0) 4 92 07 68 46
    Fax + 33 (0)4 92 07 68 49

Mail : meinesz-arobase-unice.fr
    http://www.alexandre-meinesz.com
    http://www.unice.fr/ecomers/
    http://www.caulerpa.org
    http://www.medam.org
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    A waste of time, in my view.

Absolutely not!

I learned a few things from it. There may well be counter-arguments to some of what the author says (I'm yet to find out one way or another), but I learned, for example, that the theory of evolution is not about explaining the origin of life but about explaining the diversity of life - that this is a crucial distinction that the WTS (and probably other creationists) conflate; that there is no distinction between the processes involved in micro-evolution (which JWs have no problem believing) and macro-evolution, so one can't reasonably hold to one and reject the other. These are very basic concepts, but being new to this the article has been valuable in introducing me to some of the basic issues/facts/fallacies with this convoluted subject.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Copernic -- Very interesting. Thank you.

• cofty
    cofty

Marking for later - thanks

• Copernic
  • Copernic
    Copernic

A better translation (thanks to my wife)

Professeur Meinesz contacted by email 24/08/2010 5:31 pm (French Hour)

* Did you authorize the Watchtower to make reference to your book ? Of course, not !

* Do you support the creationist view of JW ? Absolutly not !

* Is this quote correct? They’re making reference to my book on page 32 to 60 but this is not what I wrote. The sentence they are mentioning appears on page 47 but taken out of its context. They made an amalgam starting on a discussion where I examined 2 possibilities of life rising up on earth : (cells coming from space or cells formating on earth) and I develop my opinion supported by numerous current datas (for me there is no evidence that it happened on earth so it's the other hypothesis (life began elsewhere) which should be considered as well as the other hypothesis. That's it !
    On the contrary, I'm opposed to creationists but also to the ID movement (several paragraps on the subject). I am very clear in my book and a chapter underlines the contingency factor in all the process of evolution (with pictures to support on page 186 !).
    They’re promoting my book in their publications but if Jehovah's followers will read it, they will be very very disappointed !
    Please be aware that my book is a very serious work very well documented (nearly 1000 references) and it passed through the filter of 8 referees before being edited in USA (University of Chicago Press !)
    So you are authorized to publish my words!
    What would you advise me to do to counterfact those lies? I'm ready to sue them ! Therefore I would need their brochures and documents in order to prove through the huge publication of their craps, the damage caused to my reputation

A. Meinesz
    -- Professeur Alexandre MEINESZ

Laboratoire « ECOMERS» (EA 4228), Faculté des Sciences,
    Université Nice Sophia Antipolis
    Parc Valrose
    06108 NICE Cedex 2, France

http://www.alexandre-meinesz.com
    http://www.unice.fr/ecomers/
    http://www.caulerpa.org

http://www.medam.org

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

My dad recently sent me an email bragging how the Writing Committee fixes things that are found to be incorrect. I sent him this pdf and said perhaps they should take a look and do some more evaluating. He replied if the author thinks it's so good, why doesn't he submit it to the Watchtower Society himself? I haven't responded yet but I want to ask him how he knows it hasn't?

Anyway, has the author considered sending it into the society? I mean if we're going to criticize we should at least send them into the organization we're criticizing. Perhaps they'll see the light and retract both publications immediately and change their teaching on evolution

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• wobble
    wobble

I agree it would be good to confront the WT with this damning critique of their two trashy brochures, I think we need to post some stuff about the

"Was life created" brochure on you-tube, or somewhere, the Dubs are going to be offering this load of cack to the public in May !

I do not have the expertise myself, but it needs highlighting what scurrilous journalism it is, as I said to my sister regarding the "Origin" brochure :

"I would be ashamed to foist this on the public"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit