I used to accept this although never quite getting it--now I just don;t get it

by booby 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booby
    booby

*** w09 2/15 p. 24 par. 3 They "Keep Following the Lamb" ***
    3 Jesus has appointed the faithful and discreet slave "over his domestics," that is, the individual members of the slave class, "to give them their food at the proper time."

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

I guess they see it as if to say, They are following the slave class who represent the Lamb making it the same thing. all part of the big puzzle.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Things that individually do not make sense:

1. A "slave" (singular) is a class, or group of people

2. Those who this slave serves food to are who? Themselves. Wha?!?

3. When "The Master" arrives and finds them feeding themselves he appoints them "over all his belongings." To do what? Serve food to themselves.

4. What are "his belongings?" Not things. People. People who also want to eat the food but aren't part of the slave themselves.

5. Even though this slave is supposedly already appointed "over all his belongings" only eight of the individual members have any authority at all. The rest have to shut up and just keep eating the food that they claim to be feeding themselves, even though it all comes from just eight of them and their handpicked writing buddies.

6. People actually believe this.

7. Those who believe this don't even see how none of these things make sense.

I probably missed more details that don't make sense, too. This article was among the steps toward getting me out. Conducting that meeting was tough because it was just so freaking ridiculous.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's pure nonsense.

• steve2
    steve2

Even as a teenager, I struggled with the highly speculative approach the Watchtower takes to this parable. I guess it has to do with having a few active brain cells compared to the average JWs mindlessly braindead reciting of whatever's in the Watchtower.

• blondie
    blondie

It would be interesting if someone like Leolaia knows what has been written by early Christians about those verses.

• booby
    booby

Well I'm glad that others see how ludicrous it is. Wish I would have allowed myself to analyze the stupidity of so many of the teachings before wasting so many years. I guess I was like so many of them still in who have these questions, but will not allow doubt to enlighten them. Any others remember them saying that if you had a problem understanding, especially a new thought, could you put it on the back burner so to speak for a period of six months or so with the hope that over time it would clarify in your mind. I think now it was another of their schemes knowing full well that what would more likely happen is that you would just forget about it. i

• muzzy
    muzzy

@ Blondie:

Good question. It's interesting to note that neither Jesus nor the Gospel writer identify the 'faithful and discreet slave.' In fact, it seems the slave's identity isn't really an issue. Most of Matthew 24 is a series of parables, of which the 'faithful and discreet slave' is just one. And all of them have this in common: each parable emphasizes the fact that no one knows exactly when these things will come to pass, not even the Son himself, but only God alone knows when the end will come. So as far as the 'faithful and discreet slave' parable is concerned, this is simply a warning to Jesus' followers to keep busy and do what they know to do, because they never know when their master is coming.

As for what early Christians believed, many of them witnessed the siege and destruction of Jerusalem, so they probably interpreted these scriptures in light of that historical event. I find it really hard to believe that many Jewish Christians thought Jesus referred to anything more than the loss of the Temple at Jerusalem.

It's also helpful to compare this episode to its parallel account in Luke 12 (which the WT rarely compares, let alone quotes). There, Peter asks Jesus, "Lord, are you saying this illustration to us or also to all?" Jesus replies with the parable of the 'faithful steward, the discreet one.' Notice that Jesus answers a question with a question. It would be quite a stretch to claim that Jesus was identifying Peter (or any of the apostles) as his chosen steward. Rather, look at verse 48. In a long answer to Peter's short question, Jesus seems to indicate (in so many words) that his illustrations are for all people, though he allows that some will understand more than others. Those who understand more have more responsibility that those who understand less. End of story.

And that's about it. Pretty simple, really. No sacred secrets here, no unfinished mysteries, no lawyer-presidents, and certainly no corporations in New York.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit