Request for answers

by muzzy 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• muzzy
    muzzy

Hi, can you help me? My name is Michael and I'm doing some research on Rutherford and the early WTS.

OK, full disclosure: I'm writing a novel, and the subject is Rutherford.

Back when several posters like Leoleia and Farkel were posting stuff about Rutherford's private life and travels, many people commented that this would make a really great book. So I'm takin them up on their suggestion. But I need your help.

I've read a lot of the reseach posted on these forums, and it has all been very informative, but there's still a few more things I'd like to know. If you have answers to any of the following questions, could you post a response here, or let me know where I can find the answer?

Questions:

1. Rutherford's Education -- Where did Rutherford go to law school? I found an early photo of him with a caption or news clipping that named a school for steongraphy and shorthand, but is that all there was? Did he have no further education? Or was his story about paying his father to replace his farm labor a made-up lie? Just before the St. Louis convention in '39, he gave his last interview in which he told a very different story.

2. Convention Programs -- Speaking of the spirit of '39, can anyone help me find a program from that convention? What about the list of speakers and topics at Madison Square Garden (June 25 & 26, 1938 I think it was)? Moyle must have spoken that fateful day at the Garden, as he was on the speakers platform -- right?

3. Beth Shan -- Anyone know the exact address of Beth Shan? (Not Beth Sarim, that one's easy to find. I mean the second, larger one across the canyon). I live in San Diego and have driven all around Talmadge looking for it, but none of those houses is nearly big enough. Google maps are appreciated!

4. Knorr's Succession -- Why did Rutherford choose Nathan Knorr as his VP and successor, and not William Heath? Heath was a trusted friend, board member, and close confidant of Rutherford. Was there anything in particular 'wrong' about Heath?

5. The Boyd-Heath Marriage -- If Bonnie Boyd was Rutherford's mistress, why did he let her marry William Heath? Did she perhaps negotiate a secret deal to get herself married off to the Coca-Cola heir? Or did she have the goods on Rutherford and use that information to blackmail him into letting her marry?

6. Boyd-Heath, cont. -- Any record or evidence that either Bonnie or William Heath continued as active Witnesses after the death (and fabulous spy-burial) of Rutherford? If they kept living at Beth Shan, did they still attend a congregation in San Diego? Or did they run off and hide in the Bahamas?

7. The Moyle Trial -- Any trial lawyers out there? Could you tell me what you think of the Moyle trial transcript, esp. as it descripes the two attorneys? How did the consels perform? Hayden Covington's arguments and demands are hillarious, and the judge keeps getting frustrated with him. Was he just totally incompetent? Is this the same guy who won all those 1st Amendment cases before SCOTUS?

8. Photo Drama -- Any photos of William Pratt Heath, Jr.? Photos of Olin R. Moyle?

You don't have to be Leoleia to contribute. If you or anyone you know have any clues, please share with all of us. I promise to be very generous and include everyone in my acknowledgments.

Thank you!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Urk! I wish you the best results on your search. I skimmed your questions; they will be VERY difficult for most people on board...

I would suggest several things. Contact Leolaia by PM - Personal Message; I assume you know all about them...??

See if you can locate Rutherford's descendants. Rutherford's son apparently disliked "Judge" Rutherford intensely; if you could locate that son, or a grandchild, and persuade them to discuss Rutherford with you, you might get some VERY interesting material...

I suspect you will need to "walk on eggs" around them, though... Rutherford was a falling-down alcoholic, a skirt-chaser and a blazing hypocrite. NO ONE would be happy with that sort of 'blot' on their family history, and the fact that he was deeply involved with a controversial sect/cult, makes the situation more difficult.

But not impossible, I suspect...

If I recall, Beth Shan WASN'T larger than Beth Sharim; its [Beth Shan] ONLY distinguishing feature was a bomb shelter built into the residence to protect Rutherford in case the Japanese bombed the West Coast - an understandable fear at the time, given the magnitude of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the general proximity to the Pacific and by extension, to Japanese aircraft carriers or long-range bombers...

Whoops. Wait a minute... I guess most of that happened AFTER Beth Shan was built??? Well, when one believes in an "Armageddon", I guess one [Rutherford] could have been paranoid enough to want a bomb shelter BEFORE World War II broke out...??

I also have read and heard that Beth Shan was across the street from Beth Sharim...

Another crazy suggestion; go to the local Catholic churches, monasteries, whatever else functions as a Catholic structure/establishment in the general vicinity, and ask to speak with the OLDEST members of the staff... See if any of them were around when Rutherford was there - or knew someone who was. Try this with the other prominent churches/denominations in the areas - Rutherford was notorious for his vicious attacks on ALL other churches; someone might remember something - have a scrapbook, newspaper clippings, personal diaries, and so on...

Hope these suggestions help...

Zid

• yknot
    yknot

School would have been in Missouri--- perhaps contact the Missouri Bar Association for records

Beth Shan is across the canyon from Beth Sarim, the house was tore down.... property was divided and sold. Your best bet is to search the county records for via property deeds under 'WATCHTOWER'..... I read the Consolation (May 27, 1942) but no exact address is given just the description of across the canyon too....... according to Gruss 1997 book, a man named Fred Eason bought 30 acres including goat barn/shelter.

• designs
    designs

The home is still there and in good shape but the rest of the property in Mission Valley has been developed except the steep cliffs which I wouldn't recommend hiking.

• muzzy
    muzzy

@designs -- Any chance you can help with an address or google map?

@ynot -- good suggestions. I will have to look up the Missouri Bar.

@zidina -- I assume the it was more a sort of WWII bunker, and only came to resemble a 'bomb shelter' after the war. Your idea about contacting local clergy isn't too crazy. What's this about personal message? Is that a function on this discussion board? I don't see a link anywhere.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here's a thread that discusses PM's = Personal Messages, the on-board form of 'mail'...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/forum/tech-support/197272/1/What-is-and-how-do-I-PM

In a nutshell,...

You will notice at the upper right-hand corner of this page, a white-and-pale-blue "envelope" ICON. Click on that to see if YOU have any "PMs"...

It will be just to the right of your on-board 'handle' or name...

Once you get in there, when you click on your message/PM, YOU WILL INITIALLY GET AN "ERROR" MESSAGE. Do not panic. This is a flaw in the board; simply click your "back-arrow", then click on the message/PM again. Upon the second 'click', the message opens and is readable...

If you want to send anyone a PM, click on their name, which brings up 'their' page. You can also access topics that they've started and have posted upon, from that page. Click "Send Message", compose, submit, and you're done...

Zid

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qh8ic5

My Watchtower Google Earth file. Includes Beth Shan and Rutherford residences.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Jehovah's witnesses, Herbert Hewitt Stroup

http://www.sendspace.com/file/grudky

• muzzy
    muzzy

Thanks Black Sheep. Unfortunately the link you posted leads to a download site, behind a paywall. I'd rather not have to pay to sign up.

Any way you could attach to an email and send to me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit