Going around in circles or a defined objective/s?

by Celtic 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Does this community just keep going around in circles, stuck in its rut or is there an objective to this site, if so, what is it and what are any future intended plans for objectivity?

Peace

Celtic

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Don't forget most of the posters here are Ex JW. Because they have come from an abusive spiritual background and feel betrayed, it is very important for them to discuss and relate to others that have come from the same abusive background.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I believe both answers are correct.

This is why, I do see the board going around in repetitive circles but with different people as the players each time.

I also believe there is an objective or I should say objectives.
    We come here for support,friendship,understanding,knowledge,belonging,
    release.
    I'm sure there are more but all thes things are accompolished here and help so many but this is all done in a natural unorganized way.
    Some things should not be too structured or organized especially when there are so many reasons for being here.

It's like a merry go round, it can be fun but sometimes you need to get off and go do something else and then when you come back going around in circles is fun again.

Ranchette

• voltaire
    voltaire

Excellent question and replies! I agree that it can be frustrating sometimes to feel as though nothing ever happens around here. I believe, however, that this board does have an effect on the organization. The single greatest weapon that the society wields is the ability to control the flow of information to the witness community. That's why disfellowshipping is so powerful. It squashes dissent by totally isolating those who dare to question. It surely has a tremendous effect on the rank and file's ability to reason. Just knowing that "independant thinking" (read thinking) can lead to total ostracism keeps JWs from even going down certain paths, even in the privacy of their own thoughts. This forum is undermining the society's most potent weapon. I truly believe that as more publicity is shed on the various scandals that are brewing, more and more JWs will be moved to do research on the internet. When that time comes, this site will be invaluable. They will find that the nagging doubts they've felt are experienced by others; that the negative experiences that have shaken their faith are more common than they could have possibly known from their relatively small circle of JW contacts. When Jws begin to frequent these sites in sufficient numbers, the society will be forced to respond. I think they'll have to make some rather sweeping changes. I don't expect them to come out and say, "all right, the apostates and disgruntled publishers win, we'll change X, Y and Z." They will bow to pressure, it'll be called "new light" of course. They'll villify those who bring the pressure to bear and they'll deny that they acted based on anything but a desire to please god, but we'll know better.

So hang in there! Keep posting. Do what you can to spread a more balanced view of the society. Don't expect a total collapse of the society. Religions are resilient. And people want desperately to believe in something and to be told what to do, so I think we'll always have the WT with us. But we can create a community for those who wish to share their experiences and find relief in knowing that what they've gone through is not unique. In short, this is a kind of therapy. And, in the end, I think the WT will be forced to recognize a growing body of persons who refuse to yield to their control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit