Can the WT REVERSE ENGINES

by belbab 1 Replies latest jw friends

• belbab
    belbab

In Canada, back some decades ago when Percy “Jelly-Belly” Chapman was at the helm, before he got to demoted to the woodshed for extra curricular activities, he related to a select group a situation that was quite threatening to the WT Society.

If I remember right, it was something like this.

A judicial committee had announced publicly and disfellowshiped one of their female members for allegedly committing sexual misdemeanours, and in those days it was the custom to announce specifically and publicly what the specific wrong doing was.

Evidence showed up that she did not commit the announced offence. She started a law suit against the Society for defamation and damages, and according to PC, the Society was in for a huge loss.

Now on the grapevine, it was reported that the wronged excommunicated sister was very distraught, and heading for a nervous breakdown, and she wished the whole situation had not happened.

So a servant(s) was sent, not from the original judicial committee, to meet with the sister and the whole thing evaporated and the Society and sister smoothed things out between them.

Does anyone else know of similar situations where stampeding events were reversed.?

belbab

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Belbab: When I became associated in 1968, JWs told me then that in the USA they use to announce the specific reason for DFing a person. At the time of my baptism in 1970 onward, the DF announcements were simply stated DF for Conduct Unbecoming a Christian.

The was eventually changed to read, DF'd. The explanation at the time was that even stating "Conduct Unbecoming a Christisn" had been used as ground for libel suits. Evendently, some ex-JW must have won on the grounds that 'Conduct Unbecoming a Christian" is a subjective definition which could imply a large range of offenses, some deemed much more serious than others. And thus, the implication of serous wrongdoing could be in error, creating a case for defamation of character. I am not sure of this, but that is my vague recollection.

Other than that, I have never personally known of a DF decision that was reversed, nor where the Society got itself into a lawsuit, and managed to work it out with the DF person. I am sure that there are good number of cases that were settled out-of-court, and the terms kept confidential.

I understand from other Canadian ex-JWs that I have talked to, that Canada has some unique laws governing how a religious organization can conduct its church government discipline. If I understand correctly, a Canadian JW can even appeal to a Member of Parliment. My memory is a little fuzzy on that one, but I can check if you like. I keep in contact with a number of Canadian ex-JWs who would know for sure.

Enjoyed your post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit