baptism death of infant

by Aussie Oz 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

This is sad, tragic and stupid...

A priest in eastern Europe has been accused of drowning a baby boy as he baptised him.

Police are investigating Father Valentin for accidential homicide after witnesses at the ceremony said the priest did not cover the baby's mouth during the ritual, The Sun newspaper reports.

Father Valentin had denied being responsible for the baby's death during the baptism in Moldova.

The six-week-old baby died on the way to hospital and an autopsy found he had drowned, the baby's dad Dumitru Gaidau told Romania's Publica TV.

Mr Gaidau, 36, said his son was clearly in distress during the ceremony.

"He couldn't inhale, his face turned blue and he was foaming at the mouth. He [the priest] said we should not interrupt this their ritual," he said.

"We couldn't believe it that he just put his hand over his belly and over the head and submerged him three times in the water."

Water was found in the baby's lungs.

The baby's godmother, Aliona Vacarciuc, said the baby had been crying as the priest submerged him in the water.

"We couldn't believe it but we thought the priest must know what he's doing, but he didn't. When we got him back there was nothing that could be done anymore," The Sun quoted her as saying.

When the baby's angry relatives confronted the priest, he told them he knew what he was doing and was experienced at baptisms, Ms Vacarciuc said.

If found guilty of accidental homicide, Father Valentin could spend three years in jail.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/7935406/priest-drowned-baby-during-baptism

• kazar
    kazar

I've never known of a Catholic baptism to be submerging a baby in water; it has always been a sprinkling of water on the baby's forehead. Is this father Valentin a Catholic priest?

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

The majority of Romanians belong to the Orthodox [Eastern Rites] branch of Christianity. As I know, the Eastern Orthodox clergy practice full body immersion when baptising their infants, as opposed to the sprinkling of the sacramental holy water, which is the method used in the Roman Catholic church.

There are several liturgical and sacramental difference between Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. The method of baptizing is but one difference.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The sprinkling of babies makes more sense. It's all symbolism anyway. Too sad.

• baker
    baker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsH31odZYS4

After watching this video, no wonder more babies don't drown

• blondie
    blondie

I hate old posts popping up...I'm too old to handle it.

Just start a new topic and reference (link) the old one and then put your comments.

Thanks for humoring an old lady.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit