The Bible's Freudian Slip, 1st Corinthians 2:11 You Can Never Know the Mind of God

by frankiespeakin 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

1 Cor. 2:11,"No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit."

So if that is true then when the bible says that God feels this way or that it is all BS. And when ever a person is telling you how god judges this or that it is strongly influenced by persons own feeling in the matter.

So when the bible paints the picture God getting angry and wiping out a hole mess of people it is a very subjective picture colored strongly by the thoughts of men at the time.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hmmm,

Wouldn't it be better, exegetically speaking, to interpret that to mean that "No one knows the deeper thoughts of God", that is the thoughts that He keeps to Himself?

It goes on to say that "No one can understand the thoughts of a man" except that man's own spirit.

So, what it is actually saying is that no one can understand anyone else's inner thoughts unless that person reveals them to another.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Did you read the next verse?

• blondie
    blondie

1 Corinthians 2:11-12 (New American Standard Bible)

11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the (A) spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

12 Now we (B) have received, not the spirit of (C) the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

First it says no man knows God's thoughts which to me is true unless God and the person are the same thing. I don't think the idea of plugging into the spirit of God transfers the mind of God into the individual. After all God doesn't have a nervous system like ours, with all its feeling and perceptions that we have,, so unless there is some type of inter-phase device,,, but even then I doubt that we would be able to make sense out of it.

I mean if this God is suppose to be aware of everything happening every where all at once,, I doubt our brain would be able to handle it,, it would short circuit in less than a millisecond of down load.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The whole point of the passage is that Christians know the deep, hidden things of God because they have the Spirit ("We speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began...God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God....We speak in words taught by the Spirit....For who has known the mind of the Lord (= YHWH) that he may instruct him? But we do know the mind of Christ", v. 7, 10, 11, 16), this is supposed to contrast them with non-Christians who follow "men's wisdom", "the wisdom of this age" which Paul construes as foolishnesss (v. 6, 14).

I understand what point you are trying to make but your use of the verse is more like proof-texting than exegesis of what Paul was trying to say.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Right that's why I view it as a Freudian slip,

I know I'm by passing a lot stuff and being more psychological in my view of the text.

Mythology tells us a lot about the inner working of the unconscious part of our psyche, and the psyche use of projection.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Frankiespeakin,

I think there are other scriptures that may express better what you are getting at, i.e the one that says "MY thoughts are higher then your thoughts"

To use the one in Corinthians as you have is to do a WT hatchet job and take it totally out of context and miss the whole point of Paul's argument, as Leo and Blondie have ably pointed out.

It negates your argument to stoop to WT levels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit