Child Abuse Cases and the WBTS strategy

by bj 2 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• bj
    bj

In Child Abuse Court Cases, I noticed that the WBTS try to point out that Elders are under Confetional Secrecy like the Catholic Church Priests, therefore can't reveal things.

But when a JW is appointed as an Elder:
    1) he don't take a vow or oath not to reveal things to the public,
    2) neighter put this in writing.
    So how can the WBTS try to compare her Elders with the Catholic Priests?

Do you know of any comments in the WBTS literature which speak against the practice of Priest under confetional secrecy? Also, is there anyone who did research on this topic, from the legal side point why the Catholic Church adopted this method?

Joe

• outnfree
    outnfree

bj,

I think a search of WT Publications as you suggested would be very interesting. HAS the Society ever maligned the Catholic Church over their confessional policy? Hmmmmmm....

Going to find that WT CD-ROM now....

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• thinker
    thinker

bj,
    The WT arguement about confidentiality is a false one.
    For example, a priest isn't supposed to talk about anything he hears in confession, but that doesn't mean he can't urge a victim of a crime to report it to the police.
    I would not expect elders to testify against a molester who confessed to them. I WOULD expect them to urge the pervert to turn himself in. And they should also tell victims to go to the police. Anything less is taking the law into their own hands and jepordizing others.
    ps
    priests HAVE in the past broken their vows in cases of serious crimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit