Help with Doubting BIL

by Simon Morley 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

I have a BIL that has started to doubt. He is hung up on the fact that he sees JW's as the only one fullfilling the preaching of the good news. I am sure there are some excellent past posts on this topic and would be happy to get them. I don't want to put everyone to a lot of wok to restate (the obvious) but some ammo would be good as to how you ahev dealth with this topic currently or in the pst with family members. My BIL has stopped going to meetings and our in FS for over a month now.

• xelder
    xelder

Ask if he thinks the content of the modern JW message matches the first century. In the first century, the message was about Christ and release from sin.

Also, did the congregation at Ephesus run exactly like the one in Corinth or Jerusalem? Today, JW's talk about dates and uniformity to the latest GB doctrinal dart game.

In Ray Franz books, he addresses the fact that many have preached about Christ and spread Bibles for centuries before JW's ever did. It's in these lands where JW's have come along afterward and done well converting people. Others 'softened the soil' beforehand.

• pr0ner
    pr0ner

Get him to read COC that is the final tipping point for most who are doubting.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Print this one off and give it to him:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/preach.php

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

The 'preaching work' identifies a particular period of time -- not a religious group. We know that the preaching work had a first century fulfillment, but where in Jesus words do we find evidence that there will be a secondary fulfillment?

Also, when a Witness goes to a door and the householder already has a Bible and a basic knowledge of Christianity, is that due to the preaching work of Jehovah's Witnesses? Obviously not. It is a grand work only in their minds.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Well, there are a myriad subjects to bring up to help 'the tipping point'. But directly responding to the "JWs are the only ones preaching" is easy. They are not. The LDS church (mormons) preach door-to-door and even have their university to prep them for missionary work in other countries.

It might even be said that they are even better at propagating in their preaching work. There are 14 million mormons vs. 7 million JWs.

If god's true religion on earth is marked by being the only ones preaching, then things just got really confusing for a JW. Of course, it will be met with denial from most. They'll say "well, the mormons are a false religion so that doesn't count."

First post by the way. Thrilled to have found this forum and like-minded individuals. Been free for 10 years now...after born and raised hardcore. Now I know the real truth.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello unshackled, welcome to the forum

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit