Discovery leads to change.

by AIRVIEW1 6 Replies latest jw friends

• AIRVIEW1
    AIRVIEW1

I remember the all the gravel roads in Mississippi where I grew up then someone dicovered asphalt and things changed.I remember my Mississippi back woods country JW grandmother saying, "They will never
    make it to the moon, if Jehovah would have wanted man on the moon he would have put him there....they will never make it!". I also remember my grandmother speaking so negativley about the "high and mighty" government" but 1975 was coming! I believed her. I quit school
    in 1974,got my girlfriend to start going to the Kingdom Hall with me,got married by my uncle who was an elder and then we both were baptized in the summer of 75 at the "Divine Victory" assembly at LSU
    just before the big A was gonna hit in the fall of 75.10 years later I
    found myself in a very deep depression.The elders made me clean house
    because my depression they felt was being brought on by demons that I had let in my house with something of the world I had bought.One elder came over and helped me fill the garbage cans.I was told to draw
    closer to Jehovah so I emersed myself in study of the scriptures.I discovered a very tender hearted merciful and kind God. I became a partaker. The elders blew a fuse and said I was not old enough.One said I was no more annoited ,"than any man walking down the street",
    another said I was just plain ole "wicked". My wife too blew a fuse and said now everyone will think im weired. Yes discovery leads to change. I've been single now for 16 years, and yes I still feel very
    close to my Heavenly Father and draw much encouragement from the scriptures.

"I will never leave you or forsake you"

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Are you still part of the Org/Borg or have you sought true freedom????
    i.e. other than divorce. I truly hope you have drawn closer to God via the scriptures rather closer to God (satan) via the WTBTS.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

AIRVIEW: I was at that convention at LSU. I had been 'in' for some time by then and if I remember correctly I was working in 'trucking' at the time. I never full recovered from 1975. I waited to see what it was that I had missed while I wondered how it did not seem to bother the others that we had so altered our lives and put so much faith in a date that had been pushed so hard for so long and now that it had come and gone, everyone pretended it never happened. Why? Shame? Disappointment? Or perhaps the fear that questioning would bring the whole, fragile house of cards down on our heads and we would be left with nothing?

I took the house down card by card and found no reason for hope there. It did not dispel hope but rather enabled me to look elsewhere. I'm glad that you found God.

• badwillie
    badwillie

My mother claims to be "anointed". She has for the last 20 years or so. What I never understood is this:
    pre-1935 this was the only classification of JW, whether you were 8 or 80 years old. When someone new made the claim of being one of the anointed post-1935 they were viewed as replacements for one who had died unfaithful. Numerous WT articles make the statement that any replacement anointed would most likely come from among those who have served faithfully for MANY YEARS. Why would that be the case, if as I said, you could have been 8 years old and considered "anointed" pre-1935 ??? Yet another WT riddle.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Not everyone who became into the Troof pre-1935 was annointed.

My grandmother became a witness in the early 30s and never considered herself annointed. Neither did a few of her friends.

She recalled how relieved they felt when it was announced that there was another "class", the ones who were expected to remain on earth. She said it never felt right that she was supposed to be going to heaven.

She expected to walk through into the New System. She died a decade ago, her dream unfulfilled.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Prisca:
    I've heard of this from time to time and I always thought it was just some 'doctoring' up of the past by the Society. I'm glad that you posted this.

All the people I have talked to in other religions are hopeful of going to heaven but with the witnesses you hear a lot of "I want to stay right here! I dont' want to go to heaven." I used to believe it was because of our conditioning although I've always secretly wished that I could go to heaven although I have never felt singled out for it. What do you make of that?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Prisca is right about the pre-1935 non-annointed or Jonadabs. In the early 30s there were people associated with JWs who didn't believe they were annointed. (They weren't even regarded as real Jehovah's Witnesses...would they have been JonaDUBS otherwise?)

The sad thing is, as with Prisca's grandmother, these old ones expected to live to see the end of the "wicked system". I remember at a District Assembly in the late 80's/early 90's a speaker saying how near the end must be because those who had been given the Earthly hope in 1930's were getting advanced in age and surely Jehovah wouldn't hold out a hope and not fulfill it. (God wouldn't but the Watchtower would...am I right?)

There are lots of old non-anointed JWs who will be disappointed, plenty of younguns too. My mom and dad have been JWs for nearly 45 years and dad is in his early 70s. My mom already talks about not living long enough to do certain things. I haven't mentioned that they won't live long enough to see paradise restored either and neither will I.

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit