be patient: lets hope the world does not end soon

by malian 9 Replies latest jw friends

• malian
    malian

Like many others, I have not been able to change the views of my dear love, who has been brain-washed by the wts...(sigh)...
    However, I am waiting for the prophecy of 1914 to fail; the world will live on, and our loved ones will AT LEAST have a seed of doubt planted in their mind. To all: Be Patient! I think that it will be a real eye-opener for many. I just pray that they will be able to face the truth and give up the Society.

• barry
    barry

Dear Malian,
    It failed already Christ was to return bodily in 1914 when this didnt happen the invisible return doctrine was invented.

• Focus
    Focus

barry wrote:

It failed already Christ was to return bodily in 1914 when this didnt happen the invisible return doctrine was invented.

No, this is not an accurate account at all. Accusing the Watchtower wrongly is very wrong - for cult-elders are trained to seize on the tiniest error (your one is a big error) in criticism and misuse it to discredit the whole refutation.

The truth is that the actual sequence of events is even more damning to the Watchtower. 1874 was involved too, and some key and direct Watchtower lies - as distinct from merely half-truths or deceptive wording.

Click here and you can read all about it:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=KEBACT6S37258.9653935185%40anonymous.poster

--
    Focus
    (Accuracy Class)

• barry
    barry

Dear Focus,
    I would like to apologise for my error here, I should have checked. My error comes from my Adventist background which identifies the second comming and Armageddon as the same event. But thats still no excuse. Malian the link Focus ave is good reading its not necessary to waste any more time on the 1914 disaster.
    Barry

• SYN
    SYN

Their prophecies will never fail, purely because whenever one of their prophecies appears to be about to expire from age (ie. the whole 1914 thing) they merely invent some "new light".

The problem with this (as has been discussed ad infinitum on this board) is that when they get "new light" it is always the right information, but it becomes something to sweep underneath the carpet just a little bit later.

It's kinda odd the way that ppl in my ex-KH talked about the 1975 thing...I never truly knew what happened there, and I was so well programmed that I never questioned anything...thank Gord those days are over!

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• indireneed
    indireneed

I'm afraid that I'll have to be rathre cynical on this point. The prophecies will never fail, and if they were to fail, the truth would be obscured by new light.

In fact, there have been many, many failures, and nary a victory. But this doesn't matter. When one assumes that they are receiving direct communication from God through a group of people, althought the reception is a little fuzzy, they will not leave unless they suddenly become disillusioned.

The failure of a date won't do it. Neither will protests or big fights. The person has to decide that there is more to life than waiting for the next one. If God made this life as a stepping stone to another one, he's found a pretty darn stupid way to do it. Religion is a snare . . . and JWs are more religion than anything else.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

SYN - "Thank Gord?" Have you been reading User Friendly?

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    The failure of a date won't do it.

The failure of dates works wonders. When one lines up Watchtower quotes about the end times, completely in context, many see that the Watchtower Society cannot be guided by God. It provides very solid proof of this. It will not "convert" all JWs, but if someone is wondering, it will open their eyes.

When I had doubts about God, etc. I read the Proclaimer's book. Rather than encourage me, the Proclaimer's book showed me why my father always thought that the JWs were lunatics. It helped destroy my faith in the JWs being the true religion.

Then during that time, the 1914 generation teaching changed. I had given up good retirement plans (because I would never collect and I did not want to "polish the brass on the Titanic") and instead of retiring a millionaire will now retire in poverty. At that point, all respect for the WTBS went out the window. Any organization that would play with people's lives like that is not worthy of my respect.

Richard

• indireneed
    indireneed

Richard,
    I whole hartedly agree with you as far as the incorrect dates changing people's opinion goes.

What I meant to say was that it alone will not destroy people's belief in the Watchtower. I would guess that you had probably already started to doubt that the WT was the 'one and only' channel of God, which made you call into question their new light crap.

I think that missed dates are a great way of shoving the wedge in further. I just don't believe that they do much with people 'on fire' with the truth. Too many avoidance tactics.

I don't mean to say that individuals are enlightened by these things. I meant more the organization as a whole . . . heaven knows they've already failed thousands of times!

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

indireneed,

Thanks for the clarification. I am in complete agreement with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit