Remembering.......

by Undecided 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi All,

Today I had to go over to Reidsville, a little town where I lived for a while when I was about 22 or so and I took a different route home from my usual way. Along the way I remembered walking along the sidewalk with my first wife one night late, as it snowed, we had a great time that night. A little further on the left was a school where we had a circuit assembly about a month after my dad died when I was 18 and I was the one in charge of the roomimg department. A little further down the road I remembered calling on the homes in fieldservice, as it was called them. Then as I continued I remember going this way to an old sisters home where we met in an upstairs room for the meetings and my Grandmother played and old pump organ to
    lead the old Kingdom Songs, this was in the 40s. I almost cried as I remembered these days and the good times I enjoyed with my family. Almost all the ones that were there are dead now. When you get to be and old guy like me you have a lot of old memories that you cherish.

Then I came back to reality. Would I go back to those old times? No, not when I thought of my kids and grandkids and the life I enjoy now. I'm a lucky SOB to have had so much good in my life. I don't regret any of my life, even though I was duped for so many years by the WT society. I cherish it all.

Ken P.

• TR
    TR

Thanks for sharing that, Ken.

I love thinking about good 'ol times myself. Sometimes I'll drive through the neighborhood where I grew up. In the summer, I'll go to a certain park when I have time during the day, and just lay in the grass under a big Maple tree. Daydream until I fall asleep, or until I'm rudely awakened by my phone.

TR

"YK is his name, false prophecy is his game"

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I know just how you were feeling, Ken. One of the few things about growing old is the memories that you accumulate, I suppose.

• larc
    larc

Ken,

Thank you for starting this subject up. Recently, I was thinking about doing this myself.

I was born in 1940. My mother studied with her two aunts when I was 3, while my father was serving in WWII. It was quite a shock to him to come home to a JW wife. My first memories of a kindgom hall were when I was 5. The congregation consisted of about 30 people and the meetings were held in an upstairs above a business. There were no witness children my age there, so I was free to play with children in my neighborhood. That as a a blessing.

You mentioned the Kingdom songs. They were much better then, because many of the melodies were taken from classical music and church hymes. When they decided to get rid of this "pagan influence", it really bothered me. I thought the JW created music was terrible.

I remember the white, thick cloth magazine bags we used for street work. Some mentioned the use of placards, but I don't remember wearing them.

In 1950, we moved from a small town to a bigger city. The congregation was much bigger and their were several childen there. One of them was in my grade and lived four houses from me. He and I played with the other kids in the neighborhood. I guess the restrictions weren't as great then, at least, not in our city. My mother let me go to the YMCA, at that time, something that became forbidden later. When I was 14, we moved to the suburbs. There was only one other Witness boy in the entire high school. He was one grade ahead of me, and we traveled with our own high school buddies. The only time that he and I would do anything together, was when the school had a Christmas party. We were excused an would go to a movie.

Back in those days, the kids from different congregations would get together for a party and dance to rock and roll. Also, teens were encouraged to date several people and shop around and get to know several people, without the thought of marriage. I guess some things were better back then.

Some things were worse too. During WWII, an older cousin served three years of a five year sentence for not serving in the military. After the war, the length of these sentences reduced to about a year, as I recall, and were usually served on an honor farm type prison. After the war, many house holders had a great hatred for the Witnesses. It was not uncommon for someone to threaten to get their gun or to spit in your face.

One of my best memories was the 1958 World Assembly. It was quite an event.

• moman
    moman

TR...your pic looks like Jerry Lewis.

• bea
    bea

ken, i really like all your posts/stories, especially the ones with pictures attatched. i love how you appreciate all your memories and your family so much, you are a great person! you should post more often, more people need to see your kindness and love . thanks for sharing bits of your life with us.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

:::You mentioned the Kingdom songs. They were much better then, because many of the melodies were taken from classical music and church hymes. When they decided to get rid of this "pagan influence", it really bothered me. I thought the JW created music was terrible.:::-larc

Amen to that. Too sterile, they sound like sermons or WT articles with music in the background. Where's the emotion, where's the poetry and movement? I've been tempted several time to slip in Christy Lane's "One day at a time" in the cd player when no one was looking!

• larc
    larc

I brought this back up for young and old alike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit