3rd Day Convention Observations

by NiceDream 5 Replies latest jw friends

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

I was having trouble paying attention, as there weren't enough seats, so I was sitting behind the curtain so I couldn't see the speaker. I kept thinking about the Wizard of Oz "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Anywho...the attendants has blocked off some of the balcony seating because the sound apparently wasn't great. However, I was up there and it sounded fine. I would rather have been able to see the speaker.

Anyways, during the last talk about the generation, the brother paused because he had lost his thoughts. He missed out the part on the first group seeing the sign, and skipped to the second group. He didn't say it very convincingly.

What bothered me the most during this talk, was that people were talking behind me, and when I looked around no one was really paying attention. It's the end of the day, the children are getting restless, and lots of people are wandering around the arena. The brother also spoke about the prophecy about "peace and security" and said it hadn't happened yet because "sudden destruction wasn't instantly upon them."

He was just stating the obvious! I really noticed how they dumbed things down.

However, when the brother started reading a letter from the Governing Body about the European Court of Human Rights exonerating the Community of JWs, everyone was listening. I saw only one other person walking around the arena, everyone else stopped to listen. The men sitting at the various department tables were standing up and moved closer to the auditorium seats so they could hear better and were paying rapt attention. I got the sense that they were listening to a message from God himself. Which made me wonder why that much attention wasn't given to the generation change.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Because it makes them very uncomfortable because it doesn't make any sense.

• TD
    TD

Who was the speaker?

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

He was from the Canadian Bethel, but I forgot his name. I'll try and find out.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The Society knows how to make their embarrassing changes to have a more boring 'intonation' to sound more uneventful and blah-blah, whereas anything that they seem to succeed in or a seeming positive for them, then they put more of an upbeat 'intonation.'

• steve2
    steve2

Doctrine is bor-ing, but "stirring" reports about progress in the field is ex-ci-ting. I was always kind of disturbed by the high level of distracted behaviour of conventioners in the 1970s and 1980s with lots and lots of people walking around, chatting with each other during the presentations. Funny that whenever they featured an article on conventions, they'd always make sure they'f get photos of people paying rapt attnetion.

My guess would be that lack of paying attention and tuning out would be even worse among JWs now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit