Had an interesting conversation with mom about shunning...

by confliction 4 Replies latest jw friends

• confliction
    confliction

So I was speaking about some "problems" and "confusion" I had about the WTBS, and while speaking the subject of shunning came up.

Long story short, my mom said that if I were (theoretically) ever to leave,
    she would still speak to me and have me over and do all the normal things
    families do, except around the brothers and sisters- which is understandable.

But, as we know, we're technically only supposed to keep communication to a
    minimum in regards to disfellowshipped / disassociated ones.

On the other side of the story, I know that my dad rarely speaks to his oldest son,
    Who is now in his 40's. I've never even really met the guy, and have seen his face
    only twice in my entire life. But of course, my mother and father are two seperate
    adults who can make independent decisions.

So basically, my question is:

You think big momma's fibbin'?

• dawnrdh72
    dawnrdh72

Is "big momma" telling you how she as an individual would handle the situation? My sister and I have both been DF since 98. Our "big momma" still speaks to both of us and does all of the normal things. If "big momma" keeps her personal life private then there shouldn't be any problems. However, if the other dubs catch wind of it then they will cause problems for her.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Based on my experience she is and isn't.

See, my mom has said the same thing to me over the years especially because at one time she was disfellowshipped and we never shunned her..the only one that did was my older sister who was newly baptized and oh so righteous in them days. It's something my mother never completely forgave nor did my sister ever get over the guilt of doing it.

Fast forward...My family is now inactive and our relationship has completely changed..we went from talking everyday on the phone to maybe a call a week and a text message here and there. What changed? We don't have that main thing in common anymore. I don't want to hear about her meetings and studies and what brother so and so is doing and she really doesn't want to hear about what fun we are having outside the KH. It's sad but it's reality...we change and move apart.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

truthseekeriam, The JW cult destroys families in many different ways and on many different levels. I know. It's happened to my family and extended family also.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Truthseeker...that's what I'm thinking will happen with me and my family. Because we'd no longer have anything in common (aka the truth), there'd be not much else to talk about. That's the scary part for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit