July 4th

by exwhyzee 7 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

July 4th is my Birth Date...and no matter what I say, they insist on lighting off fireworks and throwing a parade ! LOL

As a kid it was always pretty depressing to have two things going on in one day that I couldn't participate in. We just peeked out the window at all the neighbors having fun lighting off fireworks and having their friends over.

Last year was a milestone birth date for me and the people I work with threw me a surprise party. They had seen my date of birth on my personnel info I guess. Anyway I got a call saying I was needed on the 27th floor in the penthouse. I kept thinking of all the worst case scenarios...laid off, fired etc. Anyway I opened the door and everyone yelled surprise, cameras were flashing and the whole place was decorated. I kept thinking how crazy it would have been if all these people knew that this was the first birthday party I had ever had or had even attended. I know I probably looked really awkward but they probably thought it was just because I was surprised. I didn't know exactly what to do about the cake and candles and opening of gifts or when they sang the happy birthday song. To tell you the truth, the whole thing left me feeling a bit flat. I wished I was with my wife and kids instead.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My 'first' birthday party was my 50th birthday.

Birthday celebrations are not the end all of life, hence your letdown I suppose. But it is nice to mark key events. What is more key than being born?

Jeff

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

LMAO that is actually a great story, and in the future I am sure you will be able to laugh about it a lot. My first birthday was when I was 25, it was shared with Ralphie who is 8 and also coupled with Thanksgiving. It was my first "family" thanksgiving.

I wen't down to NC to visit the people who became like family to me after I exited the JW's. There is a certain feeling of letdown with your first bday at such an age, I guess as AK says there not as big a deal as you think. As children growing up it seemed like such an effing sham that we didn't get birthdays and we probably built up how great they were in our heads. Don't get me wrong I LOVE LOVE LOVE celebrating my birthday and my friends birthday. But I remember feeling a bit let down my first BDay and I didn't know why.

Reading this I realize why now. Well congrats on having your first Bday, a bit awkward but a funny story. It gets easier and more comfortable every year :D

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

Oh and happy early birthday for the 4th!

• confliction
  • confliction
    confliction

The dreaded double post....

Anyways, I meant to say that this is something I've been thinking about.
    I'm still in the borg, so no b-days for me, but I've always wondered how
    awkward it will be when I do have my first birthday party...
    and my first fourth of july, and christmas... all those things.

Strange.

• Quandry
    Quandry

How nice to be surprised by all the ones at work! I hope you thanked them properly....you were thought of in such a nice way. They went to alot of trouble to wish you a happy day. Wouldn't it be nice if all people did nice things for others?

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Thanks Yall'

It was a nice gesture that they went to the trouble of doing that for me and I was able to pull myself together enough to thank them profusely. Although I half expected somebodys head to be presented on a platter....LOL

I think candlesurgeon is right about having built it up as being a bigger deal than it is because of it having been made sooo taboo. Cute story about you and Ralphie...did you play pin the tail on the donkey ?

The Pagans had weddings...and so do we....but god forbid you should have a birthday party !

I don't see myself ever celebrating Christmas but I did put up tiny white lights on the potted tree I have at the front door and put candles in the window at night just because it looks so warm and inviting during the dark winter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit