What's the average age of JW's worldwide?

by XPeterX 9 Replies latest jw friends

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

And what's the percentage of men/women?Just a thought

• confliction
    confliction

Hmm... that's a good question...

I don't know the age demographic worldwide, but it seems that where I live, whenever I go to assemblies and conventions, most of them look 50 or older. I would say maybe 60 or 65% of them are over 40 or 50.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Physically or mentally?

George

The Pew reports give quite a bit of data for the US:

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

The Pew reports are good.

JWs have a 60/40 split between women and men, which along with historically Black protestant churchs is the most unbalanced.

The average education table is, er, illuminating...

In the American Population 27% are college graduates or post graduates. Some religions seem to value education. The figure rises to 59% for all Jews, to 74% for Hindus.

But for JWs, only 9% are graduates or post-grads - that's the lowest attainment of any group measured. Looks like the no college rule, sorry suggestion, got taken to heart.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I have been in at least 8 congregations in my life and not one of them remotely approached 9% college grads. In fact, of all the Dubs I know, I only know of three that have a Bachelor's degree or higher. There are a lot with two-year degrees and certificates, though. Does Pew count those as college graduates? I think they must to get the 9% figure. 9% means nine Dubs out of a congregation of 100 have a college degree; I can't believe that means bachelor's or higher; it has to include 2-year programs.

• ambersun
    ambersun

I would imagine the average age is older now than it was 20-30 years ago. The die hard older generations are mostly still trudging on, squinting and nodding at the latest publication from the GB through their clouds of cognitive dissonance until death finally takes them away from it all, while younger generations are more likely to wake up to the lie, having the internet to do private research and learn the truth behind the lie.

As for college graduates, in my experience they are as rare as hens teeth in an organisation that condemns further education, especially for born-ins!

• St George of England
    St George of England

Another interesting fact from the Pew report is that as a direct consequence of lowest educational standards, JW's are in the lowest income bracket.

I also feel it is interesting to look at the divorce rates on that report, 12% overall, 14% JW's.

George

• 10p
    10p

So, in the USA,

Age 18-29: 21%

Age 30-49: 39%

Age 50-64: 25%

Age 65+ : 14%

Which looks like a fairly normal distribution, with an average age around 40.

I do believe it will change in the future, but we have to remember that the internet has only been a common thing in the last few years ... it was only 10 to 15 years ago that it was a geek-only thing. In fact, I think web 2.0 technologies are the real threat to JWs - Facebook, Wikipedia etc.

It already quite obvious on Facebook that all the GB's counsel about social networking sites is falling on deaf ears - more and more JW's are Facebooking every day - in fact, in the under 39 age bracket, I know of very few JW's who aren't on Facebook.

That said, Facebook could actually prove to be beneficial to the GB, if they only knew how it worked! What better way to police the flock? "excuse me, sister White, we noticed you have a worldy (or worse, a DF'd) person in your Facebook friends list. Could we see you in the second school after the meeting?"

• 10p
    10p

Oh boy, 18% of witnesses LIE

In answer to "There is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of my religion", 18% said YES!!! LOL.

Which is sort of what you'd expect, theocratic warfare and all - plus I know when I was a JW, I probably would have lied to make our religion seem more rational to outsiders. ugh. bad memories.

• dgp
    dgp

Marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit