Hit and Run Convention Invite!

by AuntBee 6 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Doorbell rings, nicely dressed young woman doesn't even look me in the eye, quickly says "We're passing these out in the neighborhood to invite you to an event at the Tucson COmmunity Center", and scampers off before i even knew what hit me! She reminded me more of someone who was hired by a business to pass out flyers, rather than a deeply religious person that cares about me or my destiny. Wow, it was borderline kind of rude, i thought.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Just remember AuntBee that you will be juded by how you receive that invitation- all 10 seconds of human interaction.

Sheeesh! This is following the example of the apostles and 1st century Christians??

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, and depending how you reacted to their neighborhood blitz you will get life or death by God and the angels who were watching your reaction as she skeddaddled to the next door.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is worse than rude, and it's the witlesses that are handing these wastes of paper out that are getting the worst end of the deal. This narrows their range of experiences--only one actual possibility (the waste of paper gets thrown in the door and they move onto the next door). And, when they are doing this all day (and I am sure they are hounding the witlesses to spend longer than normal hours doing this), all they see is this kind of stagnation.

At least, when someone does apostate flyers, they only need do it once and watch the results it has on the congregation.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is worse than rude, and it's the witlesses that are handing these wastes of paper out that are getting the worst end of the deal. This narrows their range of experiences--only one actual possibility (the waste of paper gets thrown in the door and they move onto the next door). And, when they are doing this all day (and I am sure they are hounding the witlesses to spend longer than normal hours doing this), all they see is this kind of stagnation.

At least, when someone does apostate flyers, they only need do it once and watch the results it has on the congregation.

• EmergedAsMe
    EmergedAsMe

Not that I know this young woman, but is it possible she really didn't want to be doing this all important "preaching work"?

I know that when I was on the way out (and hadn't even realized it) I hated field service so much. Especially pointless invites to our convention which was a very long way from where we lived!!

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Emerged - Yes, i got that impression. And knowing from this forum, some about the mindset/pressures she has undoubtedly faced, my heart does go out to her.

Another interesting aspect, is that i just very recently covered my own neighborhood with pamphlets detailing the less appealing/known JW doctrines, as well as a sheet with the news release about the recent death of Joshua in the UK, with his photo and a short explanation about the blood doctrine. So, i wonder if that was impacting their reception today?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit