It seems the internet is having effect

by dgp 6 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

I saw the August 2010 edition of the Awake! and found they have an article about "How well do you know the Jehovah's witnesses". They mention specifically that the person reading the article might have read bad stuff about the witnesses in the internet. And they give examples of other people who have a good opinion of Jehovah's witnesses.

I am sure that the people who get acquainted with witnesses will find you guys nice people (well, most of you). The problem is not so much the people but the ideas that keep you in slavery. That is perhaps the essential way the article is misleading. They tell you to look at the people, not to look at the organization.

Second, they tell you to look at people who want to get you into the organization. I wouldn't expect many a salesman to expand on the bad points of whatever he sells (I hope this won't upset you guys, because it's not personal).

But perhaps the fact that the organization is aware that more of us worldlies are getting information about the inner workings is the most important point to make. Now it's not only them who tell you what it is like to be in.

In my humble opinion, anyone wanting to really get to know the organization should try to befriend a witness, in the "worldly" sense of the term. That is, try to ask the person to come to your home, to see how they live, what they do with themselves, what choices they can make, et cetera. Of course, few witnesses will let you get that close to them. But the Paper Curtain witnesses create when you try to approach them is the ultimate proof.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I am sure that the people who get acquainted with witnesses will find you guys nice people (well, most of you). The problem is not so much the people but the ideas that keep you in slavery. That is perhaps the essential way the article is misleading. They tell you to look at the people, not to look at the organization.

Exactly, what gets me is how witnesses like my wife tell me that I have something against the witnesses themselves. That is so far from the truth. I think my wife is wonderful and I know she feels like this place is her only spiritual outlet. The machine told her that, the machine is also lying to her (and all of you) about 1914 and the facts relating to it. The machine is binding you in ways that the Bible never spoke of.

Second, they tell you to look at people who want to get you into the organization. I wouldn't expect many a salesman to expand on the bad points of whatever he sells (I hope this won't upset you guys, because it's not personal).

In defense of witnesses, I think most of them really are honest and sincere in their own beliefs. I think the truth is that even most witnesses don't know about the bad stuff that is going on in the organization nor do they really have a firm grasp on their true history.

Any honest hearted witness who is open to reviewing the facts about the history of the society does not remain a witness for very long.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

article might have read bad stuff about the witnesses in the internet.

Yes, it might be "bad stuff," but do they claim it is incorrect? Just because it is negative doesn't mean it is "bad" as long as it is factual. :)

• dgp
    dgp

Justitia Themis, I don't remember if they explicitly claim the bad stuff is wrong :-). I think they don't specifically say so, but instead bring the testimonials of many people. As in "see, we don't say we're good guys; they say we are".

Gary, I think you are right in your defense of the witnesses. My apologies to anyone I offended.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Straw man

Take the attention away from the "bad stuff"

I'm sure many in Hitler's army were nice guys

LD

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

People research practically everything online, vacations, products, why not religion? When I'm buying a product, I'll look at good and bad reviews to see what people did or didn't like. I hope people continue to look online and see why people left whichever organization, because they must have had a good reason.

There is good and bad in all people, that's what makes us human.

• wasblind
    wasblind

i learned the hard way, but from now on i'll research everything first, especially life changing things. Yes review everything!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit