As JWs, Did We REALLY Believe All This Stuff?

by mentallyfree31 9 Replies latest jw friends

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Now that I'm out and looking back, it seems like such a dream. I was in for 25 years. Did we REALLY believe all this stuff? Yes, I know we did. It just seems so unreal that all these millions of people are running around completely oblivious to life around them, totally wrapped up in this fantasy of Armageddon and Paradise. Did this really happen?

Did we really carry cards in our wallets, instructing the doctor to let us die instead of accepting life-saving treatment?

Did we really let older men in Brooklyn that we have never met makes rules for every aspect of our life - saving seats, not leaving the convention at lunch, not sitting in the same seats at the meetings, not hanging out with co-workers, rules for sex between married people, etc...?

Did we really think that we knew ALL ABOUT other religions, and were experts on the subject?

Without ever examing the evidence, did we really believe God chose this organization in 1919?

Wow - it almost seems like a bad dream. We were 100% under their mind control. It all seems so silly when you are on the outside looking in. Now I know what all these people around me were thinking when I was telling them about 1914 and Armageddon is gonna happen any day now and that they must join my church to get saved!

Yes, we REALLY DID believe this stuff. Wow!!!!!

LOL

Does it seem unbelievable to you, as you look back on it?

-mentallyfree31-

• baltar447
    baltar447

I'm still in. I really don't know what to do. Some of it seems ridiculous, yet alot seems reasonable. idk. That's one reason I drink alot.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

I think some people know it's crap but in their minds has been a seed placed called "Where else will we go?" It's like, there was a woman who left her husband but not without first contracting an STD from him. (he cheated on her) The husband wants her back and uses this as his reasoning: "well you may as well be with me cause no other man will want you". We can't do any better anywhere else because JW's are the troo regurgitation, I mean the true religion. They beat us over the head repeatedly with this. We can't do better. We're the truth. That terminator is out there, he can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and he absolutely will not stop EVER, until we are dead. And if you manage to get past this horses**t, there's the "Oh well we aren't gonna talk to you anymore, come along Timmy" thing that they do.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Baltar447 - Please elaborate, which part of it seems reasonable?

-MF31-

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

I think the first sign I got that this all may be BS is when I was a 19 year old study and my non-witness parents read the "What Does God Require Of Us" tract and when they got to the part about Jesus ruling invisibly in 1914 they both bust out in laughter. I was actually slightly embarrassed.

Blue Grass

• baltar447
    baltar447

Biblical morality. Preaching work. idk, not focused enough to reason right now, I'll try tomorrow.

• wobble
    wobble

I never believed the wacky stuff, conventions in the 20's fulfilling prophecies etc, I never believed a loving God would destroy anyone at the Big A who had a good heart.

I foolishly believed that as the religion had God's name on it, he had some interest in it, and some input, so I stayed with it until the claims by the GB became too blasphemous, i.e taking the place of Jesus, and too incredible, i.e receiving messages from Heaven etc (see the Rev Climax book)

Dear baltar447, they preach their own invented message, not the Good News of the Bible, they choose the bits of bible morality they wish to follow and ignore the others.

WHY STAY ?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

MF 31 Yes yes yes I agree and I feel exactly as you do. How could we?

Loz x

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I swallowed hook line and sinker, sucked down the boat too...

DOH!

oz

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Baltar - Have you read Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz and Captives of a Concept by Don Cameryn?

I highly recommend them if you haven't. Captives of a Concept is a short read, probably 2 hours or so. It's a must read.

-mentallyfree31-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit