us healthcare plan - how does it affect bethellites?

by DaCheech 7 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

correct me if I'm wrong, but the new Obama law makes it illegal not to buy healthcare.

the IRS can enforce by penalizing people who do not buy into it.

bethellites cannot afford to pay for any outside healthcare.

any thoughts?

• blondie
    blondie

How does the law affect non-profit organizations and the people who work there?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Interesting question. Bethel must currently provide some sort of catastrophic health insurance, to cover major illness or accidents? How does that work?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

no one knows?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This is how it was in 2000, when I left. . .

Bethel is self-insured. The ID card carried by each Bethelite can be presented at hospitals/clinics as proof of health insurance. There is a toll-free number on the card that providers can call, etc.

• BoomTown
    BoomTown

Very similar as to how it was when I left Bethel in 2007. However, they are stingy as hell. I had a serious medical condition that as I left I asked for guidance and they said, "now that you've left Bethel, we'd have to use dedicated funds from members to cover your expenses." I've always found it ironic that when people need help the most, they give the least. A friend of mine had an organ failure while there and instead of covering the medical procedures until he was healthy again and could work full time, they sent him packing as soon as was healthy enough to leave. Pretty sad situation.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I've always found it ironic that when people need help the most, they give the least.

Yep. My Bethel pal who served there for more than 20 years was put out to pasture, when he had a mild cardiac incident after walking to work, two miles, through 16 inches of snow. (All employers had shut down because of the snow. 'Bethel never shuts down'. He should have never walked two miles through the snow to begin with.)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Then it looks like it may affect the Borg radically. Especially if their "self insurance" isn't real, regulated health insurance. Under new law, ALL insurance will have to meet certain basic standards, so I don't see Bethel being able to weasel out of providing insurance that meets those standards.

And if they are somehow exempted from being required to provide insurance to their employees (are bethelites considered "employees"?) /slaves due to being a religious entity, the individual slaves will still be required to purchase insurance - which obviously Bethel would have to pay for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit