When did JWs in Mexico stop being a "cultural organization"?

by JimmyPage 4 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

When did they start praying and singing songs again? What was the reason given? Or is the situation still the same?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

This is covered in Crisis of Conscience, I believe it was 1989 and then JW's were granted recognition in 1993.

*** yb95 p. 250 Mexico ***
    on May 7, 1993, the Secretariat of Government granted recognition to La Torre del Vigía and to Los Testigos de Jehová en México

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Thanks, wannabe. Guess I need to go back and re-read that part. Reading Tony Dushane's book got me wondering about the whole thing. Plus the fact that I have some Witness relatives in Mexico who I may be seeing again in the near future.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Even though I was a good dub back in 1989, I remember being surprised when I saw the announcement in the WT that the brothers in Mexico were now allowed to use the Bible, to pray, and to sing songs. I wondered why there hadn't been a letter writing campaign about it. Didn't find out until I read Ray's book.

• Aaac
    Aaac

"the brothers in Mexico were now allowed to use the Bible, to pray, and to sing songs."

This is not an outright lie. They were really denied the right to pray and sing songs - not by the authorities, but by the GB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit