JWs & DF'd ones doing business together

by roybatty 9 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

I recall reading a WT article from the 1980’s regarding how df’d and da’d ones should be treated. A portion of this article dealt with having business dealings with someone who is df’d. If I remember correctly, the Society encouraged the reader to, if possible, get out of any type of business partnership with someone who is df’d and not to have any business dealings with these ones.
    From time to time I’ve thought about this matter and wondered if it is illegal. Its obvious that a company who is denies an individual a job and or promotion because of race, religion or gender is making themselves a target for a lawsuit or even criminal charges. What about in the case of someone who refuses to do a job for someone else based upon these criteria? I recall not to long ago a restaurant chain named Denny’s got into trouble for allegedly not a group of black people. Would it be any different if a df’d person were to contact a local JW who paints homes and is then told by this individual that he cannot paint his house because he is not to have unnecessary contact with an individual who is df’d? Has this ever happened to anyone?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I have not had this happen.

However, if the reason someone were fired, not hired, not promoted, etc. because they were DF'd or DA'd, that would
    smack of discrimination. I would guess that the person this happened to could file a lawsuit and walk away wealthier.

The issue comes down to documentation. Prove it. Write down every action that led you to believe it was your being
    DF'd or DA'd that led to the negative action.

I am sure this happens all the time. The problem is the JW network. Many of the people this happens to have no idea
    that they could sue. Once they find out the statue of limitations kicks in. They may also be afraid to take on the JW's.

• lydia
    lydia

Funny How the information about this is so elusive.. but so very simple.. Many of the Dubs in the area I was in had buisnesses that only hired the other brothers.. very few "worldly ones" worked for them.. It would be interesting to have some one who had not been hired to pursue this as many of those who apply for the jobs are better qualified than the brothers who got them...

• rekless
    rekless

In the eighties the org. was very unsorphisticated as for business practises that dealt with partnerships or leggally binding partnerships. there is or no way one can end a partnership leggally unless he is bought out at a percentage that he bought into a partnership.

If it was a a verbal agreement that EG. I say John lets work together I'll give you 50% of all we make and we will work as partners because I need the help and blah blah blah then you could get out of that agreement.

got to go now that is my oppinion...

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

If you don't hire someone or try to fire someone because they're DFd, the Legal Department will tell you real quick you don't have a leg to stand on and you'd better make your peace with them before they sue you. Course that doesn't appear in the publications, you have to make direct contact to get that direction.

• JT
    JT

I thought this was an interesting exp- over on h20 forum one dfed sister went to walmart or kmart one of them and there was a sister who worked there
    Knowing that she was dfed she of course acted like the avg jw would – not speak, or if so with that COLD SHOULDER.
    Anyway the dfed sister wrote a letter to Home Office and CC: ever manager and VP up the corp. food chain about how rude and unprofessional this employee was and how she was discriminated against because of no longer being a jw

She explained to home office that jw required to “DIS” former members and she was confident that the “Dissing” of paying customers was not their corp. policy for employees and the possible legal ramifications for treating folks like dirt on Corp Property-- smile

Well anyway she got this wonderful letter apologizing for the employee behavior

And of course we can only imagine how they must have DoGGGGGGGGGGGGGGed the jw cause the next time the dfed sister was in the store she was treated with respect by the JW “as she was biting her lip” smile

Just a thought on how to handle jw in the work place

On that same thread their was a letter that was kinda cold Bloodied but funny

It talked about sending a letter to companies telling them that JW could cost them big lawsuits- it explained how jw were to treat anyone dfed and how they could be sued for permitting this conduct esp for jw who are in customer service type jobs were they have to deal with the public

--but then again I guess It kinda puts the company in a catch 22 between as far as legal issues.. but that is one idea worth trying

• Bugs Bunny
    Bugs Bunny

I was told by an Elder that is a Dentist that if I wanted to just talk to him that could not be done. In fact for him to even say HI to me on the street could not be done. BUT, if business was needed to be discussed, or if I needed my teeth done he could assist me in that. Yes they will bend the rules for the almighty dollar when it comes to business. But if you are not a JW they will not hire you and all they have to put on paper is that you are not qualified for the job at hand and this alone will get them out of any lawsuits. I work for a Law Firm, but I am not a Lawyer.

• unanswered
    unanswered

i think that aq lot depends on what type of person the witness you are dealing with is. there are quite a few jws that that don't buy into 100% of the b.s. i am DF'd and i have jw working for me who knew me when i was a jw. he is in his late teens and baptized and the elders have told him it would be better if he quit working for me. he told them it wasn't any of their business who he worked for and that he works for me because he likes the job and thinks i am a good person. they have not pursued the matter. - nate

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

On the flip side, I had a brother refuse to simply provide his graphic design services to me after I was DF'd. There was no business arrangement between us-it was as if I walked into Mickey D's and ordered a Big Mac.
    Glad he didnt own a restaurant, or I may have starved to death. Some christian love, huh?

Boozy

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Booze, the anti-discrimination act in your area would serve you if he refused to do a job for you on the basis of your skin-colour; there may be a religion clause too. I often wonder if it could be addressed by our Trade Practices Act - refusal to supply a competitor carries stiff penalties!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit