Letter to my non-jw mother, and an intro of sorts.

by Pootler 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pootler
    Pootler

A bit of background: I thought that I was an ex-ex-JW until the latest new light. I left in my mid teens without being baptised, and my mum left later. My step-dad and borther stayed in, and are still in. My mum married my stepdad when I was 5 or 6, and I went from having a very relaxed hippyish sort of upbringing to one that was uber strict. So strict that I wasn't even allowed to watch Blue Peter (which is like telling your kid they can't watch Mr Rogers), wasn't allowed many friends, and the ones I did have were so scrutinized that they found it difficult to visit. I learned to lie as a way to survive, desperate to have some semblence of a normal teenage life. I was very well behaved though, at home and school.

My stepdad isn't a bad man. He'd had a wild youth, partying with members of a very famous UK rock band, and his mother gave in to his every whim. He's not super intelligent either, and he overcompensates for feelings of inadequacy by being a dick. So the Watchtower is the perfect religion for someone like him. He gladly took on his role as head of the house, and that included being able to rape and beat my mother on occasion. My mother went to the elders bruised and bleeding and crying so many times I wondered why she even bothered any more. She was told to be a better wife, and he got the odd weak slap on the wrist now and again. It was only when he started turning in fewer hours on his report card that they took his privileges away from him. She's been in the nut house plenty of times, had high blood pressure, on and off anti-depressants. I've bene on anti-depressants most of my life (off now) attempted suicide, and finally, after lots of therapy, broke free and became happy within myself.

We lived in a street with JWs on all sides and the KH literally just round the corner. Most of them stopped talking to me when I left. I went to Uni (FAR AWAY!) then moved abroad. I was able to leave unbaptised because my dad, in a rare fit of gumption, promised he would apply for custody of me if they made me go to any more meetings against my will. My mother left the JWs, unbaptised, in the early 90's after about 15 years, with the generation change and 1975 being the main reason. That generation doictrine and 1975 have stuck in her craw for 30 years. She was told to shut up by many a fine elder when she brought these points up. Now she lives in a large house which she shares with my stepdad, my brother, his wife, and their son - all JW.. It would drive me batshit insane. I have no idea how she got away with not getting baptised.

We can't really talk about JW issues unless I make a rare trip back to the UK, because someone is always listening in. But she has a fairly secret e-mail address I can contact her on. She can't visit apostate websites or watch apostate videos.. can you imagine? Being stuck in this little JW enclave when you aren't one, with no way to talk to other people who think it's a crock of shit?

Now I really want to see the good in people. I like to see all sides of the story. Which is hard when it comes to something like the watchtower because everything that's written about it tends to be so polemical and biased. But I've been trying to read the refutations of some of the main criticisms. Until the other day, lying awake at stupid o'clock in the morning, I had an epiphany and I found myself writing to my mum. And this is what came out. I don't know why I never saw this simple fact before now. I'm putitng it down to the fact that after all these years, my brain still has chunks of the borg embeded in it. I thought some of you might be interested in raeding my e-mail to her. (Identifying details redacted, obviously.)

Dear Mum

Ever since I found out about this new light, I've been immersing myself in Watchtower history. Reading the apostates, but wherever I can stomach it, reading the apologists too. In all the years I've known about 1975, there was something missing from the two sides.

The official stance is that SOME witnesses got over enthusiastic, and SOME witnesses speculated that the world would end in 1975. Since the Society never outright come out and say The Big A is coming in 1975 in a way that anyone can make them admit to (though I would LOVE to see some of the official talk outlines from the preceding years, because I bet they were more explicit than the texts the rank and file ever got to see) then apostates can blame the WBTS all they like, and the JWs can carry on denying it.

But it hit me today. The WBTS was writing suggestive texts about 1975 all through the mid to late sixties. All those stories about ones giving selling up and spending the last days pioneering. Headlines like "Why are you looking forward to 1975? Clearly the Watchtower knew the level of excitement there was among the witnesses. If they could SEE that SOME witnesses were getting over enthusiastic, and SOME witnesses were speculating that the world would end in 1975, if they KNEW that the witnesses would take heed of whatever 'encouragement' and 'advice' (or direct orders in other words) they printed....then... WHY ON EARTH DID THEY NOT PRINT A WARNING ABOUT THE ENTHUSIASM AND EXCITEMENT THEY WERE SEEING AMONG THEIR MEMBERS? Why did they not print articles about not knowing they time of the end, disparaging members for possibly bringing ridicule to the organisation? They harp on so much about not not bringing dishonor to they org, and yet they saw this brewing YEARS BEFORE 1975 and printed not a single word telling JWs to calm down. They had it in their power to stop the speculation and excitement and they didn't.

They didn't stop it. They wanted people to believe it. Then they lied about it. And then they told their brainwashed members that it was their own fault.

Forget the Mexico/Malawi debacle, and the blood transfusions and organ transplants, and the pedophile cover-ups, and the Miracle Wheat. I've read official and apolgists refutations of all these things, wanting to see all sides of the argument. But this did it for me. I've spent the last year trying to work out if they Watchtower society is as evil as the apostates say it is. They lied about this, and I'm sure now that they cannot be trusted to tell the truth about any of the other things they ave tried to cover up.

I don't know how you cope living among so many people brainwashed to believe the evil rubbish that this religion spews. I'm glad I escaped without being baptised. It's astonishing to me now that I managed to not be baptised. Not that it matters though because I'm pretty sure that they have me marked as a bad association for questioning the new light. (By the way, have you unfriended me from the business facebook account, or has my stepdad done that because I'm an evil apostate?) It's a wonder to me every day when I check facebook and see that my brother hasn't unfriended me. And you know what, I'm SEETHING that I have to watch what I say around him for fear of being shunned.

I'm not sure why this has me so riled up except that this is the first time I've seen them do the bait and switch with my own eyes. It galls me that my brother will sit in next Sunday's meeting along with all the other witlesses and let this new doctrine change go straight over his heads and nod along without realising that he is being lied to three times a week. (I think next Sunday is when they do the watchtwer study that the new light is mentioned in.) I wanted to believe that there was something, anything, that would redeem the watchtower and make it worth him having wasted his life on it. I think after all these years, my brain still works in a JW way because they seemed so above reproach, because my brother always had such good answers to my questions about the things I found on apostate sites. Maybe now I can fix that.

It must be so frustrating to you to be stuck there, among it all, with no chance to talk about how crazy it is. Next time I come home I'm going to show you how to get to all the juicy apostate sites that I've found without anyone knowing about it. It will do you the world of good to meet other people who left but still have family inside. And to read all the things that confirm what you know anyway. You were right all those years ago about 1975 and the generation teaching. You were right.

Love

Pootler

• nelly136
    nelly136

nice to meet another uk'er

• Think About It
    Think About It

Pootler..........Welcome to the board. Very good post.

Think About It

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Welcome Pootler great to have you aboard

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I hope your Mum is ready for that.

Sometimes doubting Dubbies aren't quite as deprogrammed as we think they are and one bit of info at a time can be easier for them to swallow.

She should have a web based email addy like gmail that no one else can get at and she can use from anywhere.

A lot of the predictions that the WT made were not so much dates, as time frames. Time frames that have expired. e.g. After 1975 they were waiting for Adam to name the animals and that would have taken months, not years or words to that effect. When I'm talking to Dubbies I try to use time frames that would have been published in mags they pedaled and have expired already.

It is tough living surrounded by Dubbies. I managed to escape baptism too, finally drifting out after 1975. Elders didn't bother to chase me. I guess I was just one of many. When I first turned my brain on and realised I had been scammed I was really pissed off and ripped into the family scammers. It didn't go down well. It has taken a while to call a truce. Now, if they don't talk religion to me, I won't remind them that they haven't written me up a list of Babylonian kings showing which king reigned in which year. That is the only topic I will discuss with them and I accuse them trying to fool me every time they try to sidestep it. I don't answer their questions. If they want to save my arse from their killer god then they better have an answer to my question, so get on with it.

They haven't said boo about the Generation change. Dad didn't even notice the change in 1995 and was still using it to get me to hurry up and join in 2002. Next week he has to go sit in his King Dumb Hall and listen to his favourite doctrine getting ripped up for arse wipe. Good job. Another prophesy past its time frame and with a really loopy new replacement. I'm wondering how long it will be before a family member slips up and gives me an opportunity to say something.

Cheers

Chris

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Thanks for sharing that letter Pootler, welcome

I feel for you, your mom is stuck in an unhealthy situation & I sincerely hope that letter will help empower her.

I dont have any idea how my family still in the borg will take this "generation change", I'm sure they will swallow it whole and be grateful for the great "spiritual food". I know that I cannot ever reach my mom on these doctrinal issues, she has been a JW since the 1950's (seen all the 1975 crap) and still wholeheartedly believes it all- she is older and getting infirmed now, all she has lived for is the end of this system of things and to see the new system- I cannot reach her & in her delicate state I am not sure if I want to, I think- let her go believing she has done all she can and with the resurrection hope.

It is sad to think of what a waste her life has been, she was once vibrant, witty, a real firecracker....

That is why it is my hope for you that your efforts bring you some good results, good luck to you & keep us posted!

CHG

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN! That was a good letter you wrote to your mom. But maybe instead oftrying to reinforce her knowledge of the truth about the "truth", maybe you should research ways for her to leave her horrible marriage and live somewhere other than the jw enclave.

My stepdad isn't a bad man.
    He gladly took on his role as head of the house, and that included being able to rape and beat my mother on occasion.

Um, yes he is. Anyone who beats and rapes his wife is a very badman!

She's been in the nut house plenty of times, had high blood pressure, on and off anti-depressants.
    Now she lives in a large house which she shares with my stepdad, my brother, his wife, and their son - all JW.
    We can't really talk about JW issues unless I make a rare trip back to the UK, because someone is always listening in. But she has a fairly secret e-mail address I can contact her on. She can't visit apostate websites or watch apostate videos.. can you imagine? Being stuck in this little JW enclave when you aren't one, with no way to talk to other people who think it's a crock of shit?

It sounds like she's suffered enough. With a little encouragement and pointing her in the direction of legal help and psychological counseling, she may be able to live a normal, happy life after 25 years of having a starring role in this jw nightmare.

• Pootler
    Pootler

The good news is that things are better for her now. A couple of years ago they split up and she was alone. After going completely bananas in the first 6 months, she realised that she could cope just fine without him. They got back together after a year, though on her terms. Things are so much better between them that I actually feel okay going home now, which I couldn't do for many years. She still says she's going to leave him every time I call, but I've been hearing that for 30 years. :-/ She gets stronger and more confident all the time though: last week she said that she could see now, finally, that she does not need him. Progress. :-)

She's reading Dawkins and Hitchens now and realised recently that evolution is real and Armageddon might not be coming any time soon. This latest generation definition will do her good. :-)

Is her husband a bad man? I think he's reformed to a certain extent - there's certainly no more physical abuse. There's still emotional and psychological abuse, but it's much less than it used to be. He has apologised to me TWICE for taking my childhood away from me. I'm inclined to forgive him. Sometimes I can even like him, because he's on his absolute best behaviour when I visit. But I can't forget. I just try to demonstrate the christian virtues he thinks I can't have. That doesn't make me a sap. it makes me a bigger, better person than he is and as a bonus, I get to feel smug and superior. ;-)

The first thing I looked up on my first time on the internet (way back in 1996!) was the Watchtower. There was so very little info then, but what I found blew my mind. I think I was awake 24 hours straight, reading everything. I hadn't checked in a few years, and I was amazed to see the abundance and depth of info on the WBTS online now. And I was very chuffed to find this board. It has lovely people on it, with a low nutjob quotient. And the nutjobs there are here are endlessly entertaining. ;-)

It's great to finally have found a place full of people who understand what it's like to have had your brain hijacked by the Watchtower. So thank you for the warm welcome!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm glad to hear things are better for your mom, although I'm not surprised that her husband is still emotionally and psychologically abusive to her. People like that very seldom change for real. He's a manipulator and will do whatever he can get away with. After living with such a man who eventually started to threaten my life, I have very little patience for spoiled, rotten, temper tantrum throwing infants who masquerade as grown ups. For her sake, I hope she comes to the same conclusion.

And yes, it is good to have JWN. I was out for 18 years or so before I found this site. I've done a lot of healing in the last three years. The more you're on here, the more you'll heal too.

• Quandry
    Quandry

And I was very chuffed to find this board. It has lovely people on it, with a low nutjob quotient. And the nutjobs there are here are endlessly entertaining. ;-)It's great to finally have found a place full of people who understand what it's like to have had your brain hijacked by the Watchtower.

Well, thanks! I, for one, will just take this as a great big complement!!! (even though sometimes I don't know which category I fit into)

Aren't you glad you went to the University and got an education? My daughter is in college now, and doing quite well. I want her to be able to think for herself, and be able to take care of herself, without having to depend on a man. I was "in" for over thirty years!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit