On-line study programs

by EmptyInside 8 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I haven't been a student since high school. So, I'm a bit nervous getting back into the swing of things. There is a course of study I'm interested in, and they offer an on-line program. Anyone here have any experience with on-line courses? Do they really help you start a new career? I'm just trying to consider all possibilities, thanks

I wish I would have continued on with my schooling after high school, instead of, pioneering.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Depends. I find that many communities colleges offer the exact same courses online for much much cheaper.

• LostnFound
    LostnFound

My friend took the pharmacy tech course online (in Canada from a neighboring city's college) and it was very reasonably priced. She had the certification in one year as well as did a practicum at a hospital and was offered 3 jobs right after. She was also able to work at a different job while she was taking the course.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Some of the courses I take are online from the local university. Just check to make sure the school you are considering is accredited and, as others have said, check out your local options. You may find online options close to home that are cheaper and where you can actually meet up with someone if you need help.

StAnn

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Thank you,StAnn, that's a very good suggestion.

• sherah
    sherah

Online courses can be pricey in some regions. The advantage of online classes would be if you are trying to finish your degree quickly, some schools that offer online classes have a rolling calendar, every 6 to 8 weeks you start a new class. IA that community colleges are a great bargain and stepping stone to a four-year degree.

Make sure that the school is accredited, regionally and in your state. Also, if you are seeking a professional/health-care degree, make sure that the school you are attending is accredited with the organization you will seek certification from.

Stay away from for-profit schools (google will supply you with the most popular), many people leave these places in huge debt. See if your employer/union/trade organization has tuition reimbursement or an affliation with a local college. Even if you can't get the reimbursement, they often supply book voucher, application fee waivers or allow you to take classes during work hours. Check out this thread. I went back to school for the first time at age 33, you can do it!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/156254/1/Missed-college-when-you-were-younger-Heres-a-good-solution

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Unless you have very compelling reasons to take online courses, I would suggest starting out with regular classes. Your post sounds like you want to do online, because you lack self confidence. Meeting and getting to know your fellow students and instructors will give you a better rounded education. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Emptyinside, I prefer online courses because I have two handicapped children to care for, as well as my handicapped cousin, on top of the normal wife and mother household duties. It is difficult for me to schedule classes around my sons' therapy appointments and frequent illnesses. With online courses, I can do coursework after the boys are in bed. However, it does take a great deal of self-discipline and, when class is in session, I do spend time "in class" doing school work seven days a week. It takes as much time as taking a class in person.

You can do it. I always remind myself that if some 17 or 18 year-old kid whose never had a real job, had to create and live within a budget, or balance a checkbook can do it, surely I with my years of life experience am at least as smart at they are! You'll be fine.

I don't know where you live but here in Ohio, I've taken online courses from Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) and the University of Dayton. I'm also considering a few online classes offered by Sinclair Community College (Dayton, Ohio). These are all nationally known, accredited universities with reasonable tuition rates. I chose these schools because they are close by in case I need assistance and because I get in-state tuition rates. Even online, if you're out of state, you have to pay the higher out-of-state tuition rate. Check out the universities and community colleges within 50 miles of you. You'll have to take some placement exams in order to initially enroll but don't let the initial paperwork intimidate you. It's worth it in the end.

Just FYI.

StAnn

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I teach both on line and live classes. There are advantages and disadvantages to each format. I recommend that you check out a local college that has both formats. Some classes work best in a classroom setting. Other classes work better in an electronic format.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit