Research confirms - ignorance elicits confidence and assuredness

by A Paduan 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Darwin & others new this - research supports it - and shows that revealing the ignorance to the ignorant doesn't cure it

http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/player_launch.pl?s=rn/scienceshow_item&d=rn/scienceshow/audio/items&r=ssw_08052010_1237.ram&w=ssw_08052010_1237.asx&t=The Dunning-Kruger effect
    Saturday 08 May 2010

Dunning-Kruger effect Saturday 08 May 2010

A good listen

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Awesome. Explains why doctrinal discussions don't work on most Dubs.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Oh, sure...there's truth in the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss."

Most of the time, it just makes them angry and provokes a feeling of self justification and martyrdom.

People are rarely grateful for having their foibles and ignorance exposed, it just sinks them further into denial or makes them angry and defensive.

I don't make a habit of doing that with the brainwashed, they just seem to have to figure it out for themselves, if at all. I try to jump in and nudge it along at that point where they have a little "HOLY FLAMING SCHNIKES! I've been duped!" moment, but I'd as soon jump naked into a brushfire than try to unbrainwash someone, doesn't work usually and you just get burned yourself.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

A Paduan A very interesting report. I never cease to be amazed at how illogical, contradictory and slippery, otherwise intelligent people can become when their beliefs are questioned.

Insisting that we approach all learning in a rational and objective manner, is the beginning of wisdom.

For example: Fear of the 'true god' is the beginning of wisdom. Should read:

Fear of the 'true god' is the beginning of delusional thinking and the loss of rationality.

mindmelda I have read many of your posts and appreciate your logical approach to things of the mind and reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit