The Invention of Lying

by AllTimeJeff 8 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I just watched this movie on video this weekend. Always meant to see it and just got around to it. It was a brilliant movie, but not at all what I was expecting.

It's a story of a man who lives in a world where everyone says what is on their mind all the time, to the point of brutal honesty (No, I am not sleeping with you.")

It is a comedy, but it has a very compelling side story. You see, the first big "lie" was when Ricky Gervais character was at his dying mothers bedside. She is very scared, and too comfort her, he tells her that her death is not the end, and that she will live on in love and in comfort. (don't want to give too much away here...) Doctors overhear this, and because it is assumed that no one can lie, it is automatically believed.

In other words, The Invention of Lying is a movie where the invented lie is the precepts of organized, Christian religion.

It is hilarious from there, in the vein of Monty Python, very British humor, I might add, and very compelling.

This isn't meant to comment on it per se, but the movie does make some potentially uncomfortable points about the willingness of members of organized religion to believe almost anything, even beliefs that are in effect, diametrically opposed to each other.

Highly recommended.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I liked it, too.

• andy5421
    andy5421

actually the first lie was when he said he wanted to withdraw $300(but his account was zero) after that he lied all throughout the movie, and the other people(not privvy to the lie) believed his every word.

• EmergedAsMe
    EmergedAsMe

I found it was quite different to what I expected as well, it had a very powerful message. I saw the movie with an on the fence JW family member, both of us unaware of the message that was inside (ironically they picked it). It seemed that the movie made them more than a little bit uncomfortable, as it makes the notion of religious beliefs - particularly christian seem just a tad silly. The message is clear that people can manipulate things/situations/people quite easily, and the power of group think was apparent.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey andy5421, I said the first big lie in the movie was over relilgion. The first lie his charecter told was at the bank, you are correct.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

That was a good movie! I like the part after he gets everyone to believe theres a hope after death their all excited and he trys to tone it down and then they get mad at the creator and they say "lets get him before he kills us all"

• sir82
    sir82

I find myself thinking....."and a mansion" after reading the final paragraph of just about every WT study article.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Watched this for the first time last night with my teenager. Really had some points I was debating posting on Facebook Since I still have JW's on my page.

It's amazing how your worldview can change after a year of questioning and reading books you previously never would gave glanced through.

• krejames
    krejames

I haven't seen it because I cannot abide Ricky Gervaise. he's so smug and thinks he's much funnier than he is. Is it one that non-RG fans will be able to stomach?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit