The cursed fig tree

by hoj 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hoj
    hoj

When Jesus was hungry he looked to see if there were figs on the fig tree. There weren't any figs, only leaves. He cursed the tree so that there wouldn't be figs on it again. One passage says that it didn't have figs because it wasn't the time for figs. The KJV, and probably others, supply "yet." But why would Jesus curse the tree for not having figs if it wasn't yet time for the figs? If the time for figs was yet future, wouldn't it be better to allow it to bear figs in its season?

Could it be that the time of its figs was in the past? Could it be that the tree was done bearing fruit? The tree had leaves only. I believe the leaves are like its garment (without the leaves the tree is naked), and I believe the garment represents its beliefs or doctrines. What good is a messenger if it has only doctrines but no fruit? I believe this was prophecy concerning our time. It is time for the tree to wither.

• tec
    tec

I think the lesson of the fig tree was for that time. For the Pharisees and teachers not bearing fruit for the people who were hungry for the word of God. Their tree was barren, and so it will never bear fruit again.

Tammy

• hoj
    hoj

Tammy, that makes sense. It agrees with the idea that the time for fruit was in the past and not future as according to the supplied "yet." But consider that the cursing of the fig tree is toward the end of his ministry. I feel that his life and ministry are prophetic of the days leading up to the Day of the Lord. In Matthew the fig tree is in chapter 21 and chapter 22 has the marriage parable which clearly is concerning his marriage with the Church. Wouldn't you agree that his marriage is future? I don't think that the fig tree is out of context and timeline with the marriage in the next chapter.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

btw, can you find any scriptures that show that the 'annointed' are the bride? What did Jesus call his disciples? What did he say in all his illustrations?

• tec
    tec

Wouldn't you agree that his marriage is future?

Most likely, yes. I would also say possibly ongoing - but I feel it more likely that being brought to 'life' (spiritual) is an ongoing thing for those who believe.

As for the fig tree having prophetic meaning for last days... I already understand that false religion/lies/misunderstandings about God will come to an end at this symbolic wedding - such as the fall of 'Babylon' and 'the beast', etc. So I can see that you could apply the fig tree story to that. Sometimes I just feel a bit wary at applying too much to end time scenarios. We should be living our lives as Jesus taught, with or without any end time prophecies. Then those prophecies wouldn't matter to us anyway.

Just my opinion. I do find your insights interesting, though.

Tammy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Jesus is reported as saying what it was all about in those passages, but everybody who tries to let him off the hook for this senseless vandalism, tries to do it without taking any notice, whatsoever, of what he actually said, even though they pretend to be his followers ........ and pretend to hang off his every word.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/187164/1/Jesus-Curses-the-Fig-Tree

Cheers

Chris

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Sometimes nature,i.e.the fig tree, needs nurturing not cursing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit