Did Jesus or Paul ever require hearers to check their brain at the door?

by nextdoorgirl 6 Replies latest jw friends

• nextdoorgirl
    nextdoorgirl

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society encourage their listeners to put implicit trust in them and obey blindly, but did Jesus or Paul ever use this approach? Check brains and coats at the door.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Never! Seems like Jesus was always trying to wake up people's dead brains with his great questions.

I never liked that our thoughts got herded along in one narrow channel.

• nextdoorgirl
    nextdoorgirl

What are some scriptures that support that?

• blondie
    blondie

Acts 17:10-11 (New American Standard Bible)

Paul at Berea

10(A )The brethren immediately sent ( B )Paul and Silas away by night to ( C )Berea, and when they arrived, they went into ( D )the synagogue of the Jews.

11Now these were more noble-minded than those in ( E )Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

1 John 4 (New International Version)

Test the Spirits

1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

Philippians 1:9,10 (New World Translation) And this is what I continue praying, that YOUR love may abound yet more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment; 10 that YOU may make sure of the more important things, so that YOU may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ, 11 and may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ, to God’s glory and praise.
  • thetrueone
    thetrueone

1 John 4 (New International Version)

Test the Spirits
    1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. It would be discerningly appropriate that a publishing company who sells literature just might be a false prophet. You can bet if there were people back in Jesus's time trying to sell the word of god that he would certainly chastise them vehemently.

Yes there were religious charlatans back in Russell's time just as there are today. The WTS. successfully commercialized the return of Christ. a marketing concept that they knew they would win over the attention of the public at its core. New doctrines comes spitting out the publishing corporation on a continuing basis to make them appear viable before the public, which really isn't surprising and is to be expected. In a real way the WTS. created their own kingdom of wealth and power, the kind men dream about and strive for.

• nextdoorgirl
    nextdoorgirl

Thanks guys! I'll use it!

I really appreciate it!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Did Jesus or Paul ever require hearers to check their brain at the door?

Yes.

1 Cor 1: 18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
    "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

20 Where are the wise? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit